Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any tips on Mounting a One Way Sharpening system (Read 241 times)

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Any tips on Mounting a One Way Sharpening system
Dec 26th, 2017 at 11:40pm

Santa brought me the base unit to the one way sharpening system - any tips to mounting it , I have the 8 inch slow speed Rikon grinder but until now I  was free hand sharpening , I thought at one time somebody had a template or diagram
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2017 at 11:40pm by Anthony Gomez »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Any tips on Mounting a One Way Sharpening system
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 9:52am

I just used the instructions that came with it Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IMO they are very straight forward instructions and diagrams.
Is there something in particular you're concerned about?

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 2:31pm

I had a good suggestion passed along to me ... make the centerline of the grinder the same elevation as the centerline of your lathe.  Sharpening will be much like turning - the result "can" be a better edge - I actually just found it to be not awkward... which I suppose could result in a better edge, but with a sharpening system ... this advantage is less.

BE SAFE!

IP Logged

Anthony Gomez

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 3:04pm

Thanks guys  for the advice - and yes Ed I read the brochure/instructions - it advocated the centerline , and I was going to tell you that I couldn't figure out where to align the front edge  and after rereading it I think I finally caught the part where the front should be aligned with the front edge of the wheel- thanks!

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 6:09pm

Also make sure the V in the arm is in the center of the Wheel.  DAMHIKT

I had mine 1.5" off until Lyle Jamieson came and helped me out and did some teaching to me and another vet while he was here.  I was blessed that he came two other times and Jimmy Clews paid me a personal visit also.  Thumbs Up

O and one other thing is Lyle gave me one of his 2" plastic blocks so when I put the tool in the Varigrind jig and pushed the tool up to the face of his block and the jig up to that I get the exact same grind every time and Yes I use the Irish grind at 60 degrees and use it for almost everything.

One other thing he gave me is two blocks that are 10 degrees and 15 degrees which you put in the V block and it is for detail or spindle gouges and you do the same thing as the bowl gouge I told you about just put in the block and you get a great angle detail gouge.

He gave me both of his DVDs so if you wish to borrow them just send me a PM with your mailing address.

It is always the right time; To do the right thing

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 9:20pm

One thing I missed on my initial installation of the Oneway system was the removal of the rubber mounts under the grinder.  It does make a difference and well worth the time and effort it takes to do so.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print