WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Thein Tophat Separator
Dec 28th, 2017 at 9:43am

A guy on website gave me a Thein Tophat a few yrs. back. He had made this one and it appears to a nice one. I have no idea about the insides except what I have seen online  .I had to drive a little ways to get it.I didnt know anything about them.When I got it both ends were for 5" connections.I changed one end to fit a 4" flex hose.I know it would probably be best to be bigger but for the time being I used a short piece of flex to go between the tophat and the 4" pvc going out to the tools in shop. I only have a very short run...I use less than one piece of 10' pvc with a short piece of 4" hose just to make the connection there.The other end on the tophat is 5" and goes straight to the HF dust collector which has a Wynn filter (A Tophat separator has the DC sitting on a 25 gal trash can)

Anyhow my ? is could I have the fittings reversed? The  wrong end going out to the shop and the wrong end going to the filter? I havent used it a whole lot but when I checked it had some chips etc in it. Would it affect the suction or anything if I had it wrong? I know this is a sort of different ? Maybe I can get a pic of it later.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Re: Thein Tophat Separator
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:40pm

Mike, a Thien separator normally has the outlet in the center top which connects to the DC, and a side inlet which connects to the ducting.  This  arrangement is what creates the cyclonic action in  the separator.  Hooking them up in reverse would likely reduce the effectiveness of the separation of chips.

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Re: Thein Tophat Separator
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 4:01am

Thanks Bill,Its working ...I have just always been curious.I didnt know anything about the Thein tophat when i got it.I wanted to make sure I was getting the most out f it!  Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print