WR Rocks!

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
Canada

record coronet no.3
Thickness sander
Dec 28th, 2017 at 2:23pm

I need some thin hardwood stock, approx 7 in wide by 30 in long. Starting at 3/16 I can get it down to 1/8" on the thickness planer but any less than that the thickness varies too much. A thickness sander seems to be the way,I'm looking for advice on building one to run on the lathe.There's lots of builds on the net but I'm hoping someone here has made a simple one that works well.Thanks
Bill

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Thickness sander
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 2:40pm

I don't know what type/brand of planer you have but you "shouldn't have any variance over the length. (possibly some snipe at each end)
I would get a slightly larger piece of MDF or Melamine, double stick tape the thin stock to it and try planing again. The support provided by sheet good (MDF) will stiffen the thinner stock and give you a more uniform surface along the length of the planed area.

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 4:37pm

Ed I must say that’s a great post, during the late 1980’s during Reagonomics times at work and to avoid lay-off I worked our sheet grinders and gauge below . 015 we ground as you mentioned and the lower stiff support we called a Rider Sheet. Note- sheet material was Titanium not wood.

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 7:24pm

I always did it that way until I got a drum sander, now I use a sanding sled with which I can get down to paper thin (see through) if necessary.
One more thing
I mentioned MDF not plywood for a reason. Plywood is not as uniform as some might think. A sheet of pressed wood particles impregnated with resin provides a more uniform thickness than wood laminates. Wood moves, resin not so much.

Higher end plywood with no voids and a high laminate count would be fine for this application but is a waste of money. IMO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print