Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nova Vacuum Adapter Question (Read 368 times)

Thomas Heck

Jesus Saves!

Pineville,Ky, Kentucky, USA
Pineville,Ky
Kentucky
USA

Nova Vacuum Adapter Question
Dec 29th, 2017 at 4:36pm

I have found on eBay and a couple other sites a vacuum adapter similar to the one nova discontinued. Does anyone use these or know if they work well. I have the holdfast system and use their adapter. This looks simpler. I also see one at craft supplies USA that is made different. Not sure if it will work with the nova hand wheel. Thanks for any info you can give.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.   St. John 3:17

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Re: Nova Vacuum Adapter Question
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 4:56pm

Tom - I use the oneway system that threads into the outside of the headstock (like the handwheel) with an adapter that is just like a chuck adapter (mine threads into the metric M33/3.5 threaded headstock).  I have used it for years and I am very happy with it.

I don't have experience with any others.

IP Logged

Thomas Heck

Jesus Saves!

Pineville,Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:44pm

Thanks for the information Tom. I looked at those today.  They are a little more expensive, but look to be well made.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.   St. John 3:17

IP Logged

Darryl Hansen

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:22pm

Tom I have used the Nova adapter for years. You need to be careful you do not warp the bearing race when you tighten the screws through the hand wheel to secure the adapter. I leave it on all the time and attach a hose with an adjustable hose clamp  strap to tighten the hose when I use the vacuum .  Works well.

IP Logged

Darryl Hansen

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:24pm

Oh by the way the adapter fits into a recess in the handwheel. there are threaded screws that go through the handwheel to hold the adapter secure in the recess.  Darryl

IP Logged

Thomas Heck

Jesus Saves!

Pineville,Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Thanks Darryl for the info.  In order to use the knockout bar, you must remove it?

IP Logged

Darryl Hansen

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:42pm

Thomas Heck wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
Thanks Darryl for the info. In order to use the knockout bar, you must remove it?

Nope the bar I use goes through the adapter .  Never need to remove the adapter.  Darryl

IP Logged

Thomas Heck

Jesus Saves!

Pineville,Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 7:07pm

Thanks again Darryl.  How do you attach to your vaccum system?

IP Logged

Darryl Hansen

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:40pm

Thomas Heck wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 7:07pm:
Thanks again Darryl. How do you attach to your vaccum system?

I have a plastic hose  9my guess is about 1" inside diameter0. It slips over the end of the adapter that turns inside the bearing mount that is held in the handwheel with the before mentioned screws. I fix the hose to the adapter with a hose clamp that I tighten with a 1/4" socket that I keep handy. I frequently turn on the vacuum pump and cover the hollow headstock where the drive center goes and tighten the hose clamp until the vacuum pressure is the highest. When I am through using the vacuum I loosen the clamp and pull the hose off.

IP Logged

Darryl Hansen

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 12:46pm

Oh I also have a tee with a valve that I can open or close to lower the pressure when I am using the vacuum on small or fragile pieces. The tee is in the hose about 5" from the handwheel. Actually the adapter is just a bearing that fits the recess in the handwheel with a pip stuck through the center of the bearing.

IP Logged

Thomas Heck

Jesus Saves!

Pineville,Ky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:25pm

Thanks again. I appreciate all the help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print