Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nova Comet 2, opinions? (Read 195 times)

Cliff Hughes
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nova Comet 2, opinions?
Jan 1st, 2018 at 9:37pm

Looking at getting the Nova Comet 2, just want to hear some opinions on it. Looks like a decent lathe, but Im not familiar with woodworking equipment anymore.

Cheers,
Cliff

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Re: Nova Comet 2, opinions?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:22am

I purchased one for my daughter about 3 years ago and so far not problems.  Like most mini's the front to back footprint is pretty short with unbalanced work.  I mounted it on two 16" sections of tube steel which greatly decreased rocking.
It 5.5 amp which falls in acceptable guideline for 3/4 hp. 
Two other brands are 6 amp (per their specs) and rated at 1 hp so I guess they have much better engineers... able to achieve over 100% efficiency where most DC's are 80-90%.
I did get the grinder attachment since she has to move it to use it.  The grinder works well and is quite but would not suggest it.
It is about the same $$$ as a stand-along grinder and jig but you lose the use of the knock-out bar and handwheel.
You may be able to turn 12" but 10" is more reasonable.
Toolsplus has it for $575 (free shipping) with a free G3 chuck which makes the lathe about $475.  It is available from other sellers without the chuck for about $520 but with an additional $40 shipping.
If you have a specific question I can answer please ask.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Keith Marshall
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Dreaming of a Grown Version
Re: Nova Comet 2, opinions?
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 12:25pm

I have Owned My Comet ll for 13 month's now, and I couldn't be happier with what the lathe is.  It is a Midi or mini depending on who's talking, but I have turned nearly all segmented Bowls and Vases and it does just great.  I did Need it Bolted to a more Substantial base than just setting it on a bench.  I could only be happier with a Larger lathe and be able to turn larger Bowls  from Bowl Blanks.  I actually got mine when they had a promo with a G3 Chuck and the Total Purchase price was $499 plus taxes.  Good Luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print