Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Dreaming of a Grown Version
Turning Spalted Maple
Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:59am

Hello Folks,  I have finally been able to turn My very first piece of Spalted Maple,  A 4" Bowl Blank from a sales site for turners.  I have a question about it turning really poorly on the two End-Grain sides.  After first cutting the profile and looked at it I was completely distraught at the tear-out with fresh sharpened tools.  So I tried a fresh scraper and it was No better and maybe worse. I've finally got it close to smooth enough to work with but is this common on Spalted maple and or other Spalted Anything wood?

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Re: Turning Spalted Maple
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 12:27pm

Yes spalted wood commonly is prone to tear-out.  Sometimes sanding is the only way to get a good surface.  Many times you can stabilize the wood prior to your final cuts:  water, shellac or sanding sealers can all work.   I frequently use water based poly on spalted wood.  It is "water white"  meaning very clear, with none of the amber tones added by oil based finishes.  It tends to have a high solids content & has a pore-filling effect.  So if the tear out is particularly troublesome(ie, can't be removed with normal tool work or sanding), I might dry sand a piece to 220 grit, coat with poly, wait anywhere from 2 hours to overnight, and then sand with the next highest grit.  Any tear-out that remains after the 220 sanding tends to get filled with poly.   Repeat up through 400 grit, followed by Beall buffing.     This produces a very glossy finish.   If I want a semi-gloss finish, I would probably wet sand with walnut oil through 400 grit.  This would fill all the pores and tearout but the piece will be darkened by the oil:  still looks good but the spalted contrast is muted somewhat.  Leave as-is for a matte finish or buff to a semigloss.

IP Logged

Keith Marshall
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:14pm

Thank You Sir.  I really appreciate your Informative response.  That will definitely help me.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Keith Marshall wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:59am:
After first cutting the profile and looked at it I was completely distraught at the tear-out with fresh sharpened tools.  So I tried a fresh scraper and it was No better and maybe worse.

I would suggest that before you need to employ one of Mike's suggested method you try "shear" scraping or high angle cutting with the wing of a gouge.
If you are using a scraper flat on the rest it can have a tendency pull fibers out rather than cut or slice through them. This will be especially evident when using "suspect" wood. I would describe this as wood that is either punky, spalted or has less than uniform stability throughout.
A high angle cut can drastically lessen or eliminate tear out in some circumstances.
As always, a photo would also help us help you.

IP Logged

Keith Marshall
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:04pm

Well,  I would have supplied a photo but I had already spent time sanding it to the point of a coat of lacquer and it would have been useless at that point.  I did actually get it better by doing what I think you are describing, Which is, Handle down with the wing of a Bowl gouge at a steep angle of presentation, which I feel produced a more slicing action as the Skew on spindle work.  Am I correct on your description and what I tried?  I sure do appreciate the help and suggestions.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:26pm

Keith, there are a number of 'it depends' issues here. First, spalting is a process where fungi start turning good solid wood into compost. So, how far the spalting goes can make a big difference in how clean the wood will cut. The particular type of maple can also make a big difference. So, sugar maple/hard maple will be way different than big leaf maple which is a lot softer.

Next comes your cutting. A scraping cut, for a finish cut, works pretty well in end grain cutting, but not in side grain/bowl grain cutting. Again, softer woods are generally worse than harder woods. This leaves high angle shear cuts, which means the closer to vertical the cutting edge is, the better the cut is at gently lifting the wood grain and slicing rather than pulling it out. I have a video up in that section here which is all about shear scraping (a non bevel rubbing cut). You can do bevel rubbing cuts as well. On the outside of the bowl, to get the higher shear angle, you generally drop the handle of your gouge. This generally doesn't work as well on the inside of the bowl because every thing gets in the way, bowl rim, tool rest, and lathe bed. If I am doing a bevel rubbing shear cut on the inside I prefer a gouge with a ) shape nose (Doug Thompson's fluteless gouge or some thing similar) as it is easy to roll over on the side with the handle slightly dropped. This profile also has a larger sweet spot than the standard bowl gouges.I have found that particularly with softer woods, if you sharpen on a 600 grit wheel or hone, and take very light cuts, that can make a big difference.

The other alternative, especially if the wood is really soft, is to 'stabilize' it. Methods vary from polymer impregnating (vacuum pot, pressure cooker, and heat), to flooding it with Cactus Juice, super glue, or even spray lacquer. Some times just getting the surface damp (not soaking wet) and taking very light cuts will do a better job.

Of course, there is no limit to the 'toys' you can buy to help you out... I do have a bunch of bowl turning videos up...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Keith Marshall
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:58pm

Oh Boy,  I have gotten into a real can a worms here with trying to find out how to do something..  I have No-one that I no of in my little town to ask or learn from so its all been Internet or some forums.  I really appreciate the helps from all as I would love to be able to do this.  I did have the handle down and tried using as much of a shearing cut (as I understand anyway) but I could Only get it to a certain point.  Like you said, This piece did seem fairly soft before I ever turned it, at least on the two end grain sides. It also acted as though it was contaminated with dirt in that same area? I have not even turned it around to cut the inside yet as I want to understand and try to get it right on the outside first.  I have it in pretty good shape and sprayed it with lacquer and thats where it sits at this point.  I decided I better Concentrate on these two commissioned Segmented Bowls and find out more for this one and come back to it.  The Back and Leg have Not let me go in the shop today. But Glue is set on another ring so I need to turn a bit more and glue the feature pretty quick .  Thanks for everything.  I need to locate your video on the spalted stuff for sure. Thanks Again.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2018 at 4:00pm by Keith Marshall »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:18pm

One of the tremendous benefits of this forum is that when appropriate you will get all of the possible solutions to a problem.  Sometimes one works, sometimes another, so it's a benefit to know the possibilities.  You'll also hopefully get explanations so that you can grow as a woodturner. 

Hope the range of responses wasn't overwhelming.

IP Logged

Keith Marshall
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Granbury, Texas, USA
Granbury
Texas
USA

Nova Midi
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:45pm

Overwhelming????   You Bet.   I had no idea truly what spalted meant and it has opened up parts to turning I probably can't ever explore,  being sooo Hamstrung in the finance area.  I cant go to town and buy stuff as needed like most,  and it's too far.  So I'm probably gonna have to stay with the Segmented Realm for a while till I get Further along.  I loved what I see in the spalted projects people post so I thought I wanted to do some of it.  I have a New and Profound Appreciation of all these Fabulous Woodturners and these Wood Blank pieces they can turnout with such beauty.  Surgery next week will shelve me for a while and I will do some video watching and reading.  Thanks All.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print