Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen (Read 691 times)

Steve Hougham
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

old craftsman
Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen
Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:02pm

What are the thoughts about finishing bowls with Yorkshire Grit and then Hampshire Sheem.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Re: Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:00pm

I use them both in the finishing process for my peppermills and I'm quite pleased with the results. With both, a little goes a long way. I use the Hampshire Sheen Microcrystalline Wax and it is much like Ren wax but to my eye the Hampshire Sheen gives me a better final finish

I can't say that I'm as pleased with the guy (The Walnut Log) who has the exclusive distribution rights in the US for the products. I had a number of issues with the service both times I ordered from him including unanswered emails, delays in getting the products mailed and no follow-on notification that the item was shipped or given a tracking number. I found it less than satisfactory to the point I sent a couple of emails to both of the developers in the UK suggesting that they expand their distribution partners here in the US

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:41pm

I use them both and am very pleased with the products.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:45pm

Has anyone compared them to the EEE version or Dr. Kirk's?  Those two have been around for at least a decade and seem to be essentially the same thing.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:32pm

Not sure how much daily use the original poster (OP) is intending for his bowls, but a peppermill could be handled extensively and the finish rubbed a lot.  How durable has any of the families of products (YG, EEE, Dr K) proven to be for items subjected to constant handling and use?

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:24am

For my mills I use the Yorkshire grit as the final sanding before applying the finish. I use Waterlox Sealer, applying 3-4 coats of the sealer followed by 3-4 coats of the Waterlox Gloss. Sometimes if/when there is some dust particles or areas where the finish didn't flow just right I'll use some Yorkshire Grit to remove them which seems to work just fine. Once I'm satisfied I'll finish with the Hampshire Sheen.

I used to finish my mills with either rattle can lacquer or thinned brush-on lacquer. It gives it a nice hard finish but in the end it is rather brittle. As well, living on the coast, I found it was problematic if the humidity was too high and found myself sanding and reapplying more lacquer.

As far as constant use goes I have both a salt and pepper grinder that are used daily. The pepper mill was finished in lacquer and is about 3 years old. It's showing signs of wear and has a few chipped areas in the lacquer from being knocked into things or dropped. The salt grinder was finished with Waterlox and used daily now for about 2 years and I'm pretty impressed that it still looks like new. I do take care to make sure they're wiped down after use to keep them from getting a greasy buildup on them.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:50am

Steve Hougham wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:02pm:
What are the thoughts about finishing bowls with Yorkshire Grit and then Hampshire Sheem.

Echoing Don's comments about durability, I would have to know the bowls intended use.
Utility bowls need a more resistant finish than wax only IMO.
Art or dust collecting bowls are more suitable for a wax finish.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:23am

The Yorkshire grit works pretty well but as noted it is very similar to EEE.   Neither is for final finishing.  The Hampshire sheen I got is slightly softer than a rock and hard to  put much on.  I would not buy it again.  I guess it is ok for things like ornaments but I would not use it on a bowl.  MY 2 cents

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 1:08pm

I have the same issue with my Hampshire sheen

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:19pm

I have the same with Hamphire sheen. I don't think you can let it sit around long. I make a lot of mills and am looking for a better finish other than Lacquer and Polly. I have had good and bad on supply with yorkshire grit. A friend of mine got some the other day and it was very fast. I am going to order soon and will let you know.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 8:10am

Paraphrasing, the website for Yorkshire Grit says it contains beeswax, mineral oil, and grit.  The last sentence on its product page ends ". . . the ultimate foundation for whichever wax or oil based final finish you choose."

It would seem that a wax coating would be a less than ideal surface on which to apply many finishing products.  The same can be said for mineral oil, which never cures.

Adhesion tests would seem to be good insurance for anyone considering water borne finishes over beeswax, mineral oil, or any product containing them.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:42am

I watched one of you tube videos on the Hamp. Sheen.  He calls it a finish but it is really a wax.  I would not use it as a finish on anything that will get handled much.   OK for things like ornaments I guess.  I still don't like the texture of the stuff I got and will not replace it or recommend it.

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:25am

Don Stephan wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 8:10am:
Paraphrasing, the website for Yorkshire Grit says it contains beeswax, mineral oil, and grit.  The last sentence on its product page ends ". . . the ultimate foundation for whichever wax or oil based final finish you choose."

It would seem that a wax coating would be a less than ideal surface on which to apply many finishing products.  The same can be said for mineral oil, which never cures.

Adhesion tests would seem to be good insurance for anyone considering water borne finishes over beeswax, mineral oil, or any product containing them.

Just catching up with this topic but I agree, it seems you can only really top it off with another wax?

From the description it’s not really a finishing product in itself but an abrasive that doesn’t produce airborne dust in the workshop.

I see it’s now available in “ standard” and “microfine”.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:36pm

It's also not food safe.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 9:28pm

I use Yorkshire grit on my hybrid mills but also use another product to clean it off. I don't like the idea of spraying lacquer over the wax that's in the grit. It does a good job polishing out my resin and wood mills. I clean polish with Plastex.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print