Send Topic Print
Cocobolo (Read 508 times)

Matt Perrult
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

JET
Cocobolo
Jan 9th, 2018 at 11:49am

I recently turned a handle out of Cocobolo. I finished it with a layer of spray shellac and then poly over it. It tuned out very nice.
My question is Has anyone used deft sanding sealer to cover first so you could then poly? If so how did it work?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Cocobolo
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:34pm

You used spray shellac AS a sealer
Using a nitrocellulose (lacquer) sealer will do the same thing. It stays clear, dries fast and has worked well for me.
I have used it on oily exotics like Cocobolo with no issues.

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 2:21pm

I use Deff Sanding Sealer underneath poly often, and it does very well. The only thing is be careful in sanding after the Deff SS because if it gets to warm from the sanding it tends to ball up. If this happens it is difficult to remove. My best advice is use cheese cloth abrasive, there has to be another name for this,  first and then sand paper. Run the lathe about 300 RPM.
There may be others with more experience at sanding after sanding sealer has been applied and I would be interested in their comments.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:28pm

When I first started I used a quart of sanding sealer and used some Shellac as well.  Now all I only use is Shellac which is the best I feel since everything can be put over it.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Just a reminder for those who many not know, everything can be put over DEWAXED shellac.  Waterborne products reportedly don't adhere well to shellac that still contains the natural wax.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:20am

Since this topic has some new found interest, anyone who has a question or two regarding sealer and sanding sealer probably should read this article.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:37pm

Thanks for the article Ed...much appreciated.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:29pm

I am still a little confused on what to do after the sanding sealer is applied and dried.
This is what I do: I sand the newly shaped piece to 400 grit, stepping up to that grit in increments of 60 to 80 grit each time. Then I apply Deff sanding sealer. When it dries in 2 yo 3 hours, then I use the abrasive cheese cloth to take the roughness out.
At this point I would like to use 400 grit on the orbital pad to get ready for the top coat which is usually WOP. But if I'm not careful it will heat up and ball up and turns out to be a mess that is hard to correct.
I do run the lathe at 200 RPM and reduced revs on the angle sander.
I guess my question is what do others do that I'm missing. This is a much different topic than what the thread started out as. Maybe it needs it's own thread.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:30pm

The manufacturer's instruction sheet I found on the Internet says to sand bare wood to 180 or 220 grit before application.  If raw wood is sanded to 400 it may be too smooth for the sealer to adhere well.

If the dried finish is rough could there be dust in the air that is falling into the sealer before it dries?  Or sanding dust on the surface of the wood?

You might also check the instructions for the poly - it may also call for sanding the surface at a grit lower than 400.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Ray

Me personally I would just hand sand it up to 600 after you put on the sealer.  I also use an angle sander but not on that part only when doing the rough sanding.  Everything after that is all hand sanding so I can feel if there is any heat or if any adjusting of how I sand needs to change.  I do stop the lathe and check out how I am doing to.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:28pm

A couple of points to make.
The OP was about using Deft sanding sealer before poly.
I was not as clear as I could have been with my answer.
A nitrocellulose (lacquer) sealer will do the same job as using shellac BUT it is mainly meant to be used with lacquer only, where as shellac can be used as a base for most anything. there are always exceptions and experimenting is common.

I agree with Arlin on this, after the sanding sealer is cured, you should only need to lightly hand sand to smooth the surface out to receive the first coat of finish.

IP Logged

Ray Stubbs

WR Rocks!

Columbia, Mo., USA
Columbia, Mo.
USA

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:46pm

Thanks everyone for the help. It's better to learn from friends than the "Trial and error method."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print