Send Topic Print
Stabilizing wood?? (Read 414 times)

Gary palmiter
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Rikon
Stabilizing wood??
Jan 26th, 2018 at 9:03pm

New here so I hope this question is in the proper topic page. I’ve bought the pressure tank, juice, and watched several You Tube videos, my issue is this: I place small pieces of wood in the juice (pre mixed Best Value Vacs) stabilizing resin, place weights on them to keep in juice. Place in tank and vac. Pump runs at -30 to -31 on the pressure gage. Lots of bubbles like the videos, run until bubbles end. Leave in juice for 48 hrs, cook in toaster over for 45 min. To an hr. And the juice is not penetrating the wood. I’ve tried several types: maple, cedar, spalted and still no luck. What ‘am I doing wrong?????

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Re: Stabilizing wood??
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 12:00pm

Hi Gary, and welcome!  Sounds like you have the general process right, but I don't know your stabilizing product, I use the Cactus Juice from Turntex (Curtis Seebeck), and haven't encountered your issue.  I'm not sure I can recommend the Cactus Juice process for your product, but Curtis does have a tutorial on how to use his product (soak time and bake time), which may be helpful to you.  Also, if you don't find someone here with experience with your product, you might inquire over at the IAP site (penturners.org) - a bunch over there stabilize pen blanks, and a chance someone knows your product.  Cheers!

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Re: Stabilizing wood??
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:28am

Gary,just a couple of details come in my mind reading your post; maybe you already know, but can't get that from your post.
Be sure to cook the wood at the right temperature (190-200). Don't trust any built in thermometer in the oven. If the temperature is too high, the resin will be expelled from the wood. If the temperature fluctuates there are chances that it drops under 190 degrees and that's even worse than having a temperature over 200.
The cooking time depends on the piece dimension. Sometimes 45 minutes is not enough.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2018 at 10:29am by StefanoBastianelli »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print