Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anchorseal Alternative..Beeswax etc formula (Read 1,709 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Anchorseal Alternative..Beeswax etc formula
Jan 31st, 2018 at 5:22am

I dont turn a lot of green wood right now (so I dont need a large amount of anchor seal) but I do have 4 flute blanks coming that are green.They will have been treated with a mix of beeswax or hard parrafin candle wax  and mineral oil of which equal parts were melted together and applied when hot and allowed to cool by the guy who I bought them from.I got some from him a while back and they worked out great....In my previous order I bored them out 3/4" on some and 7/8" on others in preparation to become a flute.Then I coated them with anchorseal and allowed them to dry..

I dont have any anchorseal and would rather try this formula or a variation of it.Anyone did anything similar? Where would be the best place to buy beeswax or paraffin? I would think in this use it wouldnt need to be the highest refined quality just clean .... Any ideas on this? I just wouldnt need a lot of anchorseal as I dont plan on ordering any more blanks or turning any green bowls any time soon.  Thanks !

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Anchorseal Alternative..Beeswax etc formula
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:54am

Why not just ask the guy you are  getting those pieces from if he would be willing to sell you some of his stuff.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 9:43am

Many turning blanks are coated in plain paraffin wax.
All you're trying to do is slow the moisture transfer from the wood to the ambient air. Wrapping in a sealed plastic bag or cling film will do the same thing.
Anything that will seal or clog the pores from releasing it's moisture too quickly will work.
No need to over think it.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:04am

Every grocery store should have Canning Wax, and it's cheap.  I don't think beeswax offers any advantages in your application, and it costs 3 times as much.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:36am

Jeff is right on, I think. Another option is simply to use up any left over latex house paint you have on hand. I have some very fine coloured blanks painted that way and the latex seems to work as well as anything else I've tried.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 2:16pm

I tried latex paint but it was useless here in dry Colorado.  Might work in a area with a higher humidity.  That stuff they use to wrap pallets and bundles with works pretty well if you have any around

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 4:07pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 8:54am:
Why not just ask the guy you are  getting those pieces from if he would be willing to sell you some of his stuff

I asked about it and he just told me he used the paraffin wax or bees wax heated and mixed with mineral oil.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:00pm

I tried latex paint on a bunch of bowl blanks.  Wish I hadn't.  It's my understanding that there's a lot of clay in it.  So you end up turning through a lot of what amounts to dirt...LOL   Seemed to dull tools quickly.  So the low, to no cost of it was exchanged for more sharpening on expensive bowl gouges.  I bought a couple gallons of sealer from the local Woodcraft store and like it a lot better. A gallon goes a long way.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 6:49pm

Not sure if this is new or not, but saw this on the Craft Supplies site, a little cheaper than Anchorseal: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2018 at 6:50pm by Bill Rockwood »  

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 8:35am

I have used straight paraffin wax with no mineral oil added. I find this works much better than paint.   It is a little harder to apply since you have to heat it up (I use one of those stand alone electric burners that look like a stove top burner) and the wax build up in the paint brush takes a while to soften.  I have heard that wax can catch fire if you are not careful.    I had a shoe box full of my kids old crayons, it makes for colorful sealants Smiley

IP Logged

Jack Holton
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Denver, USA
Denver
USA

Rikon
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 10:21pm

Be careful when heating the wax.  Buy a small  clean metal paint can at your hardware store and heat it with a heat gun or hair drier.  Works well and its safer.
Jack

Jack

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 11:45pm

I use an old electric frying pan to melt wax.  Temp can be set at 200* or less....probably pretty safe.  My heat gun is 750*...probably not too safe, and trying to hold it 3' away isn't very convenient Roll Eyes

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 9:30pm

Tree saver--green woos sealer is horrible!!  I use a lot od endsealers and the old paraffin based sealers are still the best.  Anchorseal#1, Artisan sealer ect are very fine.  Treesaver does nothing, nothing right.  Anchorseal#2 is a joke.  The good(used by industry) stuff is a water based paraffin produst.   Lates paint is designed to transmit moisture through paint to prevent peeling--horrible at stopping moisture loss.  All the popular finishes are practically useless at preventing moisture movement according to the forest service lab research in wisconsin.

IP Logged

denny davis

WR Rocks!

Normal, Illinois, USA
Normal
Illinois
USA

Re: Anchorseal Alternative.
Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:15pm

I'm out of Achorseal.  I see guys are using just plain wax.  If wood is stored out in the heat will it not melt off of the wood?  I have heard somewhere of using white glue, is that a viable option?   Thanks in advance for any help. 

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:50pm

Ed Weber wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 9:43am:
Many turning blanks are coated in plain paraffin wax.
All you're trying to do is slow the moisture transfer from the wood to the ambient air. Wrapping in a sealed plastic bag or cling film will do the same thing.
Anything that will seal or clog the pores from releasing it's moisture too quickly will work.
No need to over think it.

Those that seal with wax usually have a large tank that stays in liquid state, this really only makes sense if you go through many blanks.
I don't understand the hesitation with anyone buying Anchor Seal.
This is a product that is designed for the specific purpose of sealing wood.
The original Anchor Seal and Anchor Seal 2 are available and well worth the price. IMO
While home made mixtures may work, there is no need or cost benefit, again JMO

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print