WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Custer, USA
Custer
USA

Nova
Extra Chuck
Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:19am

Morning guys, I searched and did not find any info on chucks, but my searches on this forum are normally unsuccessful.

I need a spare chuck and I really don’t want to buy one of the name brands because of the prices. I want a chuck that will be capable of turning 18” bowls.

I  would appreciate any info.

Ken
Black Hills SD

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Re: Extra Chuck
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:33am

My first question is...  Do you already have a chuck?  I have a PSI barracuda and a Nova SN2.   It would be really handy if they took the same jaws.  Since the PSI chuck has to be on a 1 1/4 : 1" adaptor there is usually a slight wobble if I move an item from one chuck to the other.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:18am

There are lesser known (popular) chucks that are capable of turning what you need.
I should say, you usually get what you pay for, quality speaking.
If this is not going to be a frequent type of turning, fine. If this is something you plan on doing often, you may benefit from a higher quality (price) chuck.
What you're willing to pay will probably the determining factor.

Buy quality tools and cry once
Buy cheap tools and cry every time you use them

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:30am

Since it seems like this is something you want as a backup to what you now have, you may simply want to look for something used. If you can find a used chuck that takes the same jaws as your primary chuck, all the better. I've tried a few cheap chucks, and they were exactly that, cheap. I was lucky enough to find used Oneway chucks locally, though.

I'm assuming that you have the jaws you need for your current chuck to turn these large pieces, so more jaws is not the answer. You simply want to be able to keep one piece mounted in your current chuck while turning a second piece in another chuck, yes?

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 11:34am

Best buy would be the quick change type chuck, can't remember the name. They make jaw changing simple and fast, then you start with a big chuck, and use which ever jaws are properly sized for the bowl you are turning, and multiple sets of jaws are cheaper than multiple chucks. I use the Vicmark chucks. You do get what you pay for, and especially with an 18 inch bowl, you want a good grip.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ken Schleman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Custer, USA
Custer
USA

Nova
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:05pm

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to get a Record Power Sn4.
It seems to be well made and not as expensive as the others.

If someone can tell me the difference between a beginners chuck and all the others I would appreciate it.  I suspect it’s just BS but if there is a difference I would like to know.

Ken
Black Hills SD

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:26pm

Hi Ken, I don't think I'd split chucks between "beginners" and others, but between "economy/hobbyist" and possibly "professional".  I suspect the difference lies mostly in features (e.g., types of jaws available, types of chuck keys, load capacity) and likely the durability of the parts/materials.  I assume this is what drives the price differences.  I'm a hobbyist, and have only invested in the economy type chucks to date.  I expect the fit and finish is not quite as nice as "professional" grade, and they will likely not wear as well in the long run, but I turn on the weekends, and since I'm not worried about daily use in a professional capacity such as Reed (robohippy), these work OK for what I do at this time.  However, if you're a professional, I think the old adage "Buy once, cry once" might apply here.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:28pm by Bill Rockwood »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:48pm

Bill Rockwood wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:26pm:
I don't think I'd split chucks between "beginners" and others, but between "economy/hobbyist" and possibly "professional".

This is all subject to interpretation.
Example, some may consider Nova brand chucks to be professional and some may consider them to be a high-end hobbyist chuck.
IMO it's the quality of the machining along with the fit and finish that makes a superior chuck. This along with Jaw travel, holding strength etc, all combine to make a better chuck.
The less expensive chucks typically do not have the tolerances as their higher priced counterparts. Sloppy fit combined with inferior materials make for a poor work experience. Jaws that don't set well, screws that strip out and sloppy jaw slides are just the beginning. The "beginner" chucks typically will not hold up to continuous use, they simply aren't designed for it.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 2:39pm

Ed Weber wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:48pm:
The "beginner" chucks typically will not hold up to continuous use, they simply aren't designed for it.

Bill Rockwood wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:26pm:
I expect the fit and finish is not quite as nice as "professional" grade, and they will likely not wear as well in the long run

I think we're in agreement here.

Ed Weber wrote on Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:48pm:
Sloppy fit combined with inferior materials make for a poor work experience. Jaws that don't set well, screws that strip out and sloppy jaw slides are just the beginning.

I would hate to think of an economy or beginner chuck being acceptable for even hobby use if the quality is this poor, makes it sound like a safety issue.  And there likely are cheap, poor-quality chucks out there that may pose safety issues - buyer beware.  However, less expensive chucks can still be acceptable quality, but maybe not as feature-rich as the higher-end types (e.g., tommy bars versus gear key).  I've never had an issue with either my economy Barracuda or Barracuda 2 chucks (one with bars, one with gear key) where it wasn't operator error, no fault of the chuck.  Maybe I got lucky though, so YMMV.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 4:15pm

That is why I said, "This is all subject to interpretation."
My standards for what is and isn't acceptable in a tool are most likely different than yours, it's personal.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 5:50pm

Ken Schleman wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 10:19am:
capable of turning 18” bowls

An 'inexpensive' spare that will readily and safely turn an 18" bowl?  Turning an 18" piece will create a lot of force and energy...whatever you choose, make sure you don't sacrifice safety for a few dollars.  Just a thought...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Bill Godber

WR Rocks!

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
Canada

record coronet no.3
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 6:16pm

[quote author=0F212A1B17272C282129252A440 link=1517411960/5#5 date=1517504703]Thanks for the help guys. I decided to get a Record Power Sn4.
It seems to be well made and not as expensive as the others."

Ken, where did you find the Record Power chuck? I have a Record Coronet lathe and while parts are available from Record in England shipping is very expensive. I'd love to find a North American source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 7:23pm

Craft supplies and Highland woodworking both sell Record Power chucks

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 8:06pm

My experience, the Vicmarc chucks and jaws have much greater holding power than the only other brand I have, a Nova.  So I can leave more wood in the bowl and less in the tenon.

IP Logged

Ken Schleman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Custer, USA
Custer
USA

Nova
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:47am

Thanks again for the info guys. I’ll post as soon as I know if the Record Power chuck works for me.
I noticed it’s make in China but that doesn’t  mean much because I have noticed in the past they can build quality stuff, as long as the American ordering does not want some cheaply made thing.

Ken
Black Hills SD

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:55am

Take a look at the chucks sold by chucksplus in Texas. I have one of their small ones. All work with the T-Bar Allen key.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 1:35am

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by David Hamann.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Nova
Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:35am

You know, one way to turn 18" bowls cheaply and safely is a glue block and a face plate.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print