Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking to replace my 1950s Shopsmith (Read 933 times)

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Looking to replace my 1950s Shopsmith
Feb 2nd, 2018 at 12:48pm

We recently purchased a new (to us) house with a heated  basement and I want to replace the 1950s Shopsmith that I learned on and as some may know those old SSs minimum speed is 750rpm, which gets quite scary trying to get a gnarly chunk of wood balanced and turned round.  I am considering the Jet 1640 Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register it is within my price range and seems to be a decent machine.  I have read reviews most good, some not so much, especially when it comes to the paint chipping.   I also looked at the Laguna Revo  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Any input pro or con on either machine or opinions on other machines is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:36pm by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Re: Looking to replace my 1950s Shopsmith
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:48pm

I started turning on a Shopsmith in 1980 and have another for a back up. I do not use as a lathe, however I did for a year or two. I have most all the accessories. Bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, planer, dust collection etc.  It comes in very handy for a small bandsaw. I hope you plan to keep your Shopsmith.  The machine is great for use in segmented turning.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:17pm

Definitely will keep the Shopsmith, I love the drill press feature and also have the planer, tablesaw, and drum/disc sander attachments as well well as mortising attachments.  I learned to turn on this lathe for the past couple years and have been glad to have inherited it.  I have the original receipt for it from the 50s I think (if I remember right) it was like $250 w/attachments . LOL  I also have the old style jigsaw for it but I can't seem to get it to run without breaking the blades instantly!    Shocked Shocked   I just wish it would turn slower for roughing out work, and I guess SS makes an  upgrade that allows you to slow it down but I think I have to replace the entire head unit $$$$$$$$
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:19pm by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:32pm

Rob, can't you change one of the pulleys?  Does it even HAVE pulleys?

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:46pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:32pm:
Rob, can't you change one of the pulleys?  Does it even HAVE pulleys?

There are 2 pulleys inside ( I know cuz I had to replace them last year) one is the drive pulley and the other is a pulley that closes or separates to increase/decrease belt tension and length thereby increase/decrease speeds, but there is no pulley system like many of the new lathes that you can change to change ratios.

Actually I believe the pulley that is a 2 piece pully that controls the speed is the drive pully, the other is attached to the spindle and more of an idler pully

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Well I correct myself there are 3 pulleys a 2 piece sheave on the motor shatft  and a belt connecting it to a 2 pc sheave connected to the speed control knob which connects via another belt to the idler pulley on the spindle shaft
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2018 at 4:18pm by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 8:00pm

Welcome to the forum, you will find a wealth of information and members eager to share experience.

An equally valuable source of information and assistance is a local turning group, where you likely can see and maybe even try out different lathes, tools, and more.  Your profile does not indicate where you live, but you can always search on the AAW site for local groups, or just search on the Internet.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 10:19pm

I have a Jet 1642 EVS and absolutely love it.  Solid as a rock.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 2:11pm

Looking at this lathe as a candidate.   I already have a 220v circuit that was used to power an electric range that was replaced with a gas stove so I'd just need to install the appropriate plug on the end and reroute the wire.  How is Grizzley's customer service?  Any issues with this lathe.  It is a step up I think from the Jet 1640 and it appears to me to be a step up from even the higher priced Jet 1642 and still about $500 cheaper.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

or maybe the G0799:

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2018 at 2:22pm by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:03pm

Personally between the two you selected I would get the Laguna Revo.   I do think it is better built then the Jet and I have nothing against the Jet but just how I feel when seeing both of them.

I have a Powermatic 3520b and like it but given a chance I would get something else like the Robust but it is more expensive.

One thing tho it depends on who you buy the Laguna Revo from.  If you buy it from the company they have had horrible customer service when I tried to buy a lathe from them 3 years ago and NEVER could get anyone to call back or email me so I could buy one.  If you get one from Woodcraft or another big outlet like that you will get much better service or even take it back to them.

I am also not sold on Powermatic anymore either.  I had some paint peeling off and wanted it to look nicer so I contacted them and told them about the problem and they told me to paint it with one of their spray cans they sell for $25 and $15 for shipping and I looked like this  Shocked Shocked

I asked them about their warranty and it did not cover their cruddy paint job.  Angry
So I will no longer buy from them.

Also I do like the two Grizzly lathes someone linked to but they are more then you shown.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:05pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:23pm

Arlin Eastman wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
Personally between the two you selected I would get the Laguna Revo.   I do think it is better built then the Jet and I have nothing against the Jet but just how I feel when seeing both of them.

I have a Powermatic 3520b and like it but given a chance I would get something else like the Robust but it is more expensive.

One thing tho it depends on who you buy the Laguna Revo from.  If you buy it from the company they have had horrible customer service when I tried to buy a lathe from them 3 years ago and NEVER could get anyone to call back or email me so I could buy one.  If you get one from Woodcraft or another big outlet like that you will get much better service or even take it back to them.

I am also not sold on Powermatic anymore either.  I had some paint peeling off and wanted it to look nicer so I contacted them and told them about the problem and they told me to paint it with one of their spray cans they sell for $25 and $15 for shipping and I looked like this  Shocked Shocked

I asked them about their warranty and it did not cover their cruddy paint job.  Angry
So I will no longer buy from them.

Also I do like the two Grizzly lathes someone linked to but they are more then you shown.

Yea Arlin that was me who posted the 2 Grizzly lathes, and originally I wanted to stick to a price range a couple grand, but I also want to get the best bang for the buck even if it means I have to spend a couple extra grand.  I also looked at the PM3520C but wow I would  then be pushing nearly $5 grand and it seems be be real comparable to the Grizzly

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2018 at 4:26pm by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:48pm

I too started turning on a Shopsmith after I saw it on tv. Still have the Shopsmiths (2), but  not using as a lathe.  A little tricky with balancing blanks, and not slow enough.  And DON’T get the speed reducer to turn with, it can’t handle the load.  Also I know what can happen with a bad catch— bent drive spindle— which is co$tly.
I can’t speak to the Jets, but do have a Laguna 1847 that I like a lot— was to be my BIG lathe until I stumbled onto the Amercan Beauty.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:50am

David Hill wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:48pm:
I too started turning on a Shopsmith after I saw it on tv. Still have the Shopsmiths (2), but  not using as a lathe.  A little tricky with balancing blanks, and not slow enough.  And DON’T get the speed reducer to turn with, it can’t handle the load.  Also I know what can happen with a bad catch— bent drive spindle— which is co$tly.
I can’t speak to the Jets, but do have a Laguna 1847 that I like a lot— was to be my BIG lathe until I stumbled onto the Amercan Beauty.

Yea I feel ya bro on the SS turning speeds and catches, I've had plenty in my learning curve, I will keep it for the Drill press, sanding, and jointer attachments for sure.  I think the  Beauty is an awesome lathe but nearly $8k is just out of the question for someone like me who is really just a hobbiest, it might be different if I was turning for profit.  I do like the Laguna line, which leads me to this post of trying to get pro/con input.  Thanks for yours, and Thanks to all who have replied! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:51am by Rob Corriveau »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:52am

Have you looked at your local woodturning group.  It is likely the members collectively have a wide variety of lathe manufacturers and sizes, and would be generous with their experience and shopping considerations.  You might also have an opportunity to "test drive" some of the makes and models to see what features and characteristics you most like and dislike.

IP Logged

Rob Corriveau
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Kinde, Michigan, USA
Kinde
Michigan
USA

1955 ShopSmith
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:21pm

Don Stephan wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:52am:
Have you looked at your local woodturning group.  It is likely the members collectively have a wide variety of lathe manufacturers and sizes, and would be generous with their experience and shopping considerations.  You might also have an opportunity to "test drive" some of the makes and models to see what features and characteristics you most like and dislike.

I'd love to find a club close enough, I've looked and have yet to find a closer club, a 2 hour min drive seems a bit far to attend a club meeting to me.  Wonder how far some of you drive to go to a meeting?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:49pm

Rob Corriveau wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:50am:
David Hill wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 11:48pm:

Yea I feel ya bro on the SS turning speeds and catches, I've had plenty in my learning curve, I will keep it for the Drill press, sanding, and jointer attachments for sure.  I think the  Beauty is an awesome lathe but nearly $8k is just out of the question for someone like me who is really just a hobbiest, it might be different if I was turning for profit.  I do like the Laguna line, which leads me to this post of trying to get pro/con input.  Thanks for yours, and Thanks to all who have replied! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I guess I'm lucky. I have the Shopsmith Powerpro, a dvr system that runs fro 250 RPM to 10000 RPM.  You can upgrade yours (for a couple grand!).  A dedicated lathe is still the best option if you have room.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2018 at 8:49pm by Chris Neilan »  

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print