Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Art Show Application Photos (Read 231 times)

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Art Show Application Photos
Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:47am

This is to my fellow turners who do art shows. When you photograph your work for submission do you shoot individual pieces or do you group items.  What I mean is one bowl vs 3 bowls in one picture.  I have always done one item per photo.  (I did do a group shot of seam rippers, rolling pin, spatula, needle case for one art show - which I didn't get accepted)

Thanks

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Art Show Application Photos
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 12:24pm

As always, it depends.
IMO
If it is to be judged for acceptance, than one item per photo. You want undivided attention on that singular piece, not mixed in with others items even if they're similar.
If the items are part of a collection or set (not just several similar items) then you can/should group them as such.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:47pm

Thanks Ed.  That's what I thought.  A photo of multiple pieces would be acceptable if it was a set of nested bowls.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:43pm

Ditto what Ed said.  Most of mine are single items.  However, I used a couple of photos that have had groupings of three.  It is interesting I did a mock jury in St. Louis awhile back and had one of these photos in my submission.  The jurors felt it was best not to show all three even when they were in a group/set.  The only exception might be a nested set of bowls. 

Good luck
Steve

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 10:28am

Nested (cored) bowls is one example but also items that we 'typically" think of as being a set.
Candlesticks, table sets like salt & pepper grinders, cup & saucer, that sort of thing. Items that "belong" to a group that might not tell the complete story if viewed separately.
When you photograph an item properly, there should be no need for additional explanation. You may not (probably not) be there when the photo is viewed, it needs to speak for itself.
Have someone neutral view your photo without prior knowledge of the item, if their comments are along the lines of, "nice work" or "looks good", that's what you want..
If there comments are in the form of a question, "is there another one"? or "are these supposed to match"? then you probably have some work to do.
If you find yourself wanting to explain the photo,
"this is really part of a set" "these are the same but not really" or simply trying to get more items into less photos are some examples of what you want to avoid.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print