Send Topic Print
Hello - Again... (Read 338 times)

Ralph Laughton
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Hello - Again...
Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:14pm

Hello from London, England.

I registered here getting on for eight years ago and as often happens in my life, things got in the way, and my turning adventures got put on hold for a while. Here is the text from my original post:

Hello!

My name is Ralph Laughton, and I am what you might call a square woodworker. I am slowly going round and have joined here to show you how far I have got and see where to go next.

I sit here bashing keys to make money so Like to do things with my hands in my spare time. I enjoy creating things whether it be in wood or pursuing our other interest. My wife, Sue, usually gets involved in what I am doing and she now has a lathe of her own. We fight for the best bits of wood, and when we buy blanks, they are claimed and have our respective names written on them!

I first did a bit of turning at school and recently taken up doing a bit more than just making round things for square projects.

I will post some pictures when I have made another text post to qualify me to do so...

Since my original posts were made, the hosting company I was using at the time collapsed and my pictures are no longer part of those five earlier posts. Turning has come on leaps and bounds, tool sharpening has taken on a whole new dimension, techniques have changed and don't let me get on to the possibilities of resin...

What really has come on in the past few years is the spread of the internet and especially video. YouTube is now your (my!) friend, with so much good stuff on there for people like me who are just getting back into the game.

I am so looking forward to having another go, but I may not be able to do too much for a while as we are about to move house after living in London all my life, and the same house for nearly 40 years, we are off to the coast. A new house and new workshops - Yes, I think it will be as we have now, a separate turning shed - or at least a dedicated area. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I will be doing the odd bit here and there and I will post what I can.

For now here is a picture of me posing for a cover shot that was used on one of our magazines here in the UK a few years back - don't tell Sue, that is her lathe!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Ralph.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 6:15pm by Ralph Laughton »  

...Did I mention it rains here?
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Hello - Again...
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Pretty darn good introduction, welcome

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:50pm

Welcome back!
Look forward to discussion & interaction.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:04am

From London, you must be related to Charles!! (the actor)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print