Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turning wearing fingerless gloves (Read 1,866 times)

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Turning wearing fingerless gloves
Feb 8th, 2018 at 9:59pm

I have a questions does anyone were fingerless gloves when turning?  I am referring to tight fitting not loose. Thanks

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Re: Turning wearing fingerless gloves
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 10:26pm

I have 2 pair of fingerless (one knuckle's worth of finger) anti-vibration gloves.  I wear them when I turn large, unbalanced blanks and when I turn spectraply.  They velcro tightly across my wrist and the back of my hand and the fingers fit tightly.  I love them and consider them a piece of safety equipment.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:27pm

I too use fingerless gloves when tutning.  As a matter of fact I use the fingerless antishock gloves from HF.  Love’’m, won”t turn without’em. In my occupation is really important to protect my hands!
They afford great cushioning and protection from chips.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:30pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:28am

I use fingerless gloves.  Mine are leather with a liner made of Kevlar.  I have to cut the fingers off myself.  I then sew the liner to the leather at each finer opening to keep the liner and leather together.  I find they protect the heal of my left hand from splinters coming off the wood when roughing.  They pad my palms more allowing me to work longer and more comfortably.  I also work in a non-heated garage in Alaska. Thumbs Up so the metal tools can be a bit cool.  Wink

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:14am

I have a couple  I cut the fingers off mid way.  The Isotoner (SP?) driving are leather and spandex.  The other is calf skin aviator gloves.  I only use the left but my daughter is a "leftie" and so uses one on her right.  Skin tight for a variety of hand sizes.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:42pm

I am one of the silent majority that does not.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:09pm

While every safety video/tutorial warns against wearing gloves, I do use them for the same reasons I'm sure most here do...tired of getting hands 'heat-treated' or sand-blasted.  My preference is Mecanix wear gloves...snug and relatively durable.  Another option I've used in the past is to use golf gloves.  If you're near a big golf shop they'll frequently have old ones or no-name brands fairly cheap.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:26pm

John Grace wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:09pm:
While every safety video/tutorial warns against wearing gloves,

You're right about the videos but I really don't know why "some" think gloves are dangerous. If you are in a situation where your gloves are hindering your turning and are becoming a danger then it probably has more to do with you than your gloves.
For the majority of my woodworking, I prefer not to wear gloves as there are things that require the sense of touch for critical input, making sure parts are flush and/or smooth etc.
I do wear gloves (with fingers) when ripping long lumber to protect against splinters and cuts, yes even on 90 degree corners.
I have never worried about gloves interfering with my work, glove to me are a tool like anything else I use in my shop.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:31pm

I've been a safety professional for over 30 years.  I know OSHA standards don't apply in our home shops, but they do provide a good starting place for discussing how we should protect ourselves there if we can.

29 CFR 1910.138(a) says:  Employers shall select and require employees to use appropriate hand protection when employees' hands are exposed to hazards such as those from skin absorption of harmful substances; severe cuts or lacerations; severe abrasions; punctures; chemical burns; thermal burns; and harmful temperature extremes.

The key words are "appropriate hand protection" and "when hands are exposed". 

Each of us needs to assess the hazards to which we are exposed and wear the proper protective equipment to mitigate those hazards.  My anti-vibration gloves are tight enough that they pose no hazard of being caught by a  spinning blank and pulling me into the tool.  The hazards of exposure to flying chips causing hand injury far exceeds any hazard of getting caught in the machine. 

You have to do your own hazard assessment.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:42am

Thanks Steve, always good to hear from a pro on the subject and I agree with all of it.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:31pm

Steve Kniffen wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:31pm:
My anti-vibration gloves are tight enough that they pose no hazard of being caught by a  spinning blank and pulling me into the tool.

Same here.  I think the "no gloves" thing is "conventional wisdom".  I've also heard the conventional wisdom of "no rings or watches", and the ring thing I know is for electricians, but if your ring or watch is close enough to be  a problem, I think you likely have an unsafe turning stance.

When turning, I tend to use one fingerless, tight glove (an old weight-lifting glove) on my left hand, which is the one at the tool rest, exposed to the sand-blasting of chips during roughing.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:54pm

Bill Rockwood wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
I've also heard the conventional wisdom of "no rings or watches", and the ring thing I know is for electricians

Since you brought it up. People who are concerned about damage, loss or safety can get silicone rings that are much safer in most circumstances.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
_BwE
I have no affiliation, there are other sellers

IP Logged

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:28pm

I work for the number 1 do it yourself ware house and have for 26 years., in Ca. And employees are required to wear gloves when using a retractable razor knife. I say Ca. for only one reason, the rules in Ca. for safety are so different and sometimes outrages then the rest of the country. My personal opinion is where does the employee need to take responsibility for their actions. Sorry hole different topic. I am off my soap box.
I wear them occasionally that is why I asked and thank you for all  the response. You folks rock!!!!!
I do wear the silicon ring. I change to  the real ring when going out. And I love the silicone rings

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:28pm

Steve MItchell wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:28pm:
   the rules in Ca. for safety are so different and sometimes outrages then the rest of the country. My personal opinion is where does the employee need to take responsibility for their actions.

I'll bet that even though you have to wear the gloves with the razor knife that both the gloves and the razor knife cause cancer ... in CA.

One of the biggest frustrations on the part of safety professionals is that we have legislated and administratively ruled against all employee responsibility for their own safety.    I was raised differently.  I KNOW that NO ONE is more interested in my safety than I am. 

I told people I was not trying to force them to follow any stupid rules.  I just wanted to make sure they got home to sit in their recliners at night with two eyes, two ears, 10 fingers, and 10 toes and do that forenough nights that they could finally retire and do it forever.   One guy was hard of hearing and asked me why I wanted them to retire with "two wives".  Didn't get to him quickly enough.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:41am

Steve Kniffen wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:28pm:
I'll bet that even though you have to wear the gloves with the razor knife that both the gloves and the razor knife cause cancer ... in CA.

Yes, that would be part of prop. 65
When I first moved out here I had bought a vise and it had the Prop 65 warning sticker on it. The Warning stated that this product may contain chemicals that could cause cancer. So, needless to say, I was a bit confused how a chunk of cast iron could give me cancer.
I later discovered that the warning labels had gotten out of had from their original purpose and now people put them on just about everything sold just to cover their butt.
Now the Prop 65 warning has become so ubiquitous that no one really pays attention to it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print