Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which One (Read 818 times)

Cecil Dean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Which One
Feb 8th, 2018 at 10:49pm

New member and turner, I have a Jet 1236 at present but I am looking to upgrade it. Would like a PM but out of my price range. Been looking at the specs for Nova Galaxi DVR 1644, a Lauguna Revo 1836 and a Jet 1640 EVS. all in the $2000 to $2600 range. Would like to hear from others as to other brands/models. Pro and cons of the different ones. Any suggestion and help is appreciated.
Thanks
Cecil  Undecided

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Re: Which One
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:41pm

Welcome!!
My “student” jumped on a Revo 1836– he loves it. He learned on all my lathes, and opted for that one, which is closest to my Laguna.  I can turn bigger (to 25 inch), but find most of my turnings that I sell are less than 16 inches.  It’s mostly a matter of the space people have to store or display turniings.  If you think about it, most cabinets aren’t much deeper than 12 inches— just sayin’.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:46pm by David Hill »  

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:15am

I upgraded a couple of years ago to the Jet 1640 EVS.  Great lathe in that price range.  Components were well constructed and machined.  Everything assembled correctly and easily.  It does everything I want it to do.  EVS is awesome after suffering with a Reeves drive for so long.  Only issue, the spindle lock is spring loaded and won't stay in when pressed (by design).  It makes it hard to loosen a chuck when one hand has to hold in the lock.  There are workarounds but it would have been nice to not have to reverse engineer it.  Still, its a minor inconvenience.  I really like this lathe and would change my decision to purchase it if I could.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:28pm

I have a 1642 EVS and love it.  Never a hiccup with it.  I did a lot of research before I bought and it was the biggest lathe I could afford.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:39am

NOVA DVR XP Thumbs Up

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Though I really enjoy my NOVA DVR XP, if I were to do it over again, I'd be sure to get a lathe with a sliding headstock.  That's easily the one missing feature on my NOVA that I wish it had.  Now of course, there are several other lathes with similar features plus the sliding headstock at cheaper price points.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:59pm

I had to have the sliding headstock, which gets you a short bed bowl lathe when you slide it down to the tailstock end, and a long bed lathe when you keep it on the headstock end. Yes, there are a number of variations on the pivoting headstocks, particularly the Nova, but none of them met my 'quality' standards, with the exception of a Vicmark, which has about a 3 inch post to pivot on, and you pull a pin to move it to 30 or 45 degrees, or 90 degrees, and then set the pin. It goes back to exact positions with just the set pin and you don't have to fiddle with it at all to get things to line up again... With a sliding headstock, if you have line up issues, mostly as near as I can tell, it comes from having a bit of dust under the headstock, which is easy to fix...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Cecil Dean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:07pm

Vicmark is out of my price range.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 6:22am

I've read numerous posts within the past year about Grizzly's new offerings.  A number of turners have gone the Grizzly route and have been quite happy with both their capabilities, fit/finish, and price point.  I've never worked on one but it may be something for you to include in your decision-making.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 10:47am

Looks like the NOVA  galaxi has a sliding head stock

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 12:32pm

Rick Caron wrote on Feb 17th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Looks like the NOVA  galaxi has a sliding head stock

As does the Laguna and Grizzly's but at better pricing.  Don't get me wrong...I love my NOVA DVR and think it's an excellent machine.  I just think it's a bit over-priced relative to other offerings...fortunately, I was able to purchase mine on a substantial re-furbished discount.

IP Logged

Cecil Dean
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 9:08pm

I may take a look at Grizzly, I know a couple of people who have them and are happy. I was thinking about resale also in my selection.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print