Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Staved Music Box with applied decals (Read 184 times)

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Staved Music Box with applied decals
Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:38pm

As long as I can remember, our daughter was drawing. When she was 12 or 13 she was filling books with drawings of elegant ladies in Victorian costumes. Some of the poses reflected her ballet lessons. I was able to save a lot of the pictures and recently found a way to incorporate them into a Birthday gift to her.

I scanned six of her drawings, reduced the size and moved them onto a clear background. I found blank water slide decal sheets and printed the images. I transferred them to a section of a music box I was making. The base, top and lid of the box are maple (8 staves) and the center part is cherry, painted and stippled to resemble stoneware. After the decals set I finished the part with a clear lacquer, then assembled the sections.

It was really fun to work with these 40 year old images - preserving a child's imagination.

I used the picresize app and it worked for two of the images. The other one (same original size) just reduced to colored blobs. After three attempts I gave up. I wish there was an easier way to post pictures.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:40pm by Eric Armstrong »  

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Re: Staved Music Box with applied decals
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Excellent craftsmanship - as always! I have also used the decals with excellent results under a water based finish.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Eric Armstrong

Brookville, PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Brookville, PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:29am

I finished the painted segment with gloss (Rustoleum). Decals work best on a glossy surface. After the decals are applied and dry I top coat with more Gloss finish. If anyone would like to use this technique I would advise using Krylon rather than Rustoleum. The latter sprays on very heavy and will run if not applied carefully. A heavy coat also tends to lift the edges of the decals. I used Testor's decal paper (transparent) that is available from hobby shops or Amazon.

IP Logged

George Hurlburt
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

El Dorado, KS, Kansas, USA
El Dorado, KS
Kansas
USA

Robust, Vicmarc 175 and Nova DVR
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:35pm

Excellent, well done and unusual. Thanks for showing the memories.

George Hurlburt  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print