WR Rocks!

Independence, Missouri, USA
Independence
Missouri
USA

10 x 18 harbor freight wood lathe 
Second opinion.
Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:43am

when i get enough money, I would like to get a spindle chuck.  I think it would be best to get the one in the picture below, but i want to make sure.

IP Logged

Micheal Gipson

WR Rocks!

Independence
Missouri
USA

Re: Second opinion.
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:50am

oops. cant post the pic. one,the jaws of this chuck grip round stock as well as expand within a recess turned in the back of the workpiece. $68.95

The other, This self-centering style 4-Jaw Chuck has reversible stepped jaws for holding a variety of round or square workpiece sizes. $69.95

Both are 4 jaw. Sorry if this is confusing.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 7:24am

My vote: Depending on the grain direction, most of the time I will use a recess or tenon when using a chuck. A set of stepped jaws would be useless to me, because I don't think there is enough "gripum" to safely use a recess.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:38am

Two questions...are you looking for 'jaws' with which to specifically do spindle turning and what are you trying to turn?  I have two different sets of Teknatool's spindle jaws (their 'Power Grip' & their 35 mm).  Both fit the SuperNova 2 chuck as well as others, so I'm told, and are excellent for gripping pieces 'length-ways' with the grain.  The Power Grip is excellent for larger pieces...I've done a number of vases and lamps with them.  The smaller set I purchased for turning smaller items like ornamental Christmas trees.  Hope this helps...J

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Micheal Gipson

WR Rocks!

Independence
Missouri
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:23am

John Grace wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:38am:
.are you looking for 'jaws' with which to specifically do spindle turning and what are you trying to turn?

I do believe i am looking for jaws. I don't have that big of a lathe, just a 10 x 18, but i plan on making cups and bowls. I have looked up how to do it with just a face plate and know it can be done. but it seems a lot easier with a chuck.

I just don't know if the stepped jaw or the round jaw will make more of a difference in the projects.

I also don't have any way to cut off the corners besides the gouge if that helps anything.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:50am

This is a perfect question to take to a local woodturning group, where you will find a number of turners at all levels of experience, examples of the various manufacturers of four jaw chucks, and so much more.

First you need to identify the diameter and thread count on your lathe, as not all chucks may easily fit what you have.  THEN you can look at the various sizes and types of jaws available for those chucks.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 2:21pm

Micheal Gipson wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 11:23am:
I don't have that big of a lathe, just a 10 x 18, but i plan on making cups and bowls.

Without getting into price or affordability, I'll add some input.
The Chuck
You lathe is small, so a chuck that fits your lathe is probably best.  Usually we tell people to get as big as they can so theat when they inevitably upgrade there is one less thing to but. But a chuck that is too large for your lathe will decrease performance.
I would  probably recommend something like a Nova G3. All the jaws can be used on the Super-Nova 2 if you ever upgrade to a larger lathe and/or chuck.
The Cup and Bowls
Most chucks come with a set of 50mm or 2" jaws this is capable of turning just about anything a 10" lathe can handle. Jaw selection is determined in part by what size lumber you start with and method of work. Sometimes seeing a final product of what you want to make and working backwards can help determine what method you prefer. The are many ways to accomplish the same thing without having to purchase additional jaws.
If you have an example of what you want to make we can give you suggestions on how to accomplish it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print