Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Harbor Freight 12x36 Hand Wheel (Read 434 times)

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Harbor Freight 12x36 Hand Wheel
Feb 20th, 2018 at 5:11pm

I know this is a very limited audience for this post but someone might benefit.
I have been using the #34706 lathe (my first lathe) since April 2017 and have wished it had a hand wheel.  Through lots of searches I found that the Jet 1236 wheel would fit but it is basically 25% of the cost of the lathe. So I decided to just try to make one out of wood.  The first one was the wheel and then I decided to try a different design and made the handle type.  I prefer the handle type by far.

IP Logged

Len Mullin

WR Rocks!

Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada
Miramichi
New Brunswick
Canada

Re: Harbor Freight 12x36 Hand Wheel
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 11:55pm

Daniel, what type of wood did you use, to make your wheel and handle out of? Did you use soft or hard wood?
Len

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 10:07am

The round wheel is just a piece of pine 2x6.  The handle is an unknown wood from a box of hardwood cutoffs I bought on Amazon.  For the spindles I used more of some unknown hardwood.  I just turned them to 1/2" and then slightly tapered the end to get started in the hole and used a wrench to thread the spindle.  They won't last forever taking them in and out to access the knockout hole but the price was right and they serve a purpose.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 11:19am

Many turners will grab the hand wheel after the power has been turned off to aid in deceleration.  That can easily be done with the hand wheel but not with the hand crank.  Just something to think about.  I don't know if you are in that habit or not.  Besides that, nice work.  Both of them look very nice, especially since you used 2x6 for the wheel.

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 1:07pm

I have found that I only use these when tuning pens primarily during the sanding since I don't have the lathe turned on.  I have learned that you need to stay away from the crank while the lathe is running.  I may have made the wheel to thick to grab comfortably.

IP Logged

JosephDaniel Smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Lavaca, Texas, Texas, USA
Port Lavaca, Texas
Texas
USA

currently the Harbor freight one......Looking
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Daniel, a little more info on how this attaches to the spindle.Thanks,,, a joe in south Texas

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 3:43pm

I did something like this for my first lathe - a Shop Fox 1504.  I suspect that the method that has to be used to attach the handwheel could be different on different lathes.

The end of the spindle on the outboard side of the headstock was hidden behind a conical plastic shroud that was held onto the headstock housing with a couple of screws.  I cut off a portion of the plastic cone to expose the end of the shaft, but left the rest of the plastic shroud in place to cover as much of the hole in the headstock as possible - to minimize dust incursion.

The hand wheel itself was made from ordinary red oak (from Home Despot) - two pieces glued together to create a blank 1 1/2 inches thick.  I shaped it so that the outer portion of the hand wheel was only about one thickness (ie, 3/4"), but the smaller diameter inner portion was sized to fit loosely in the hole that I had left in the plastic shroud.  I left a hole through the center for the knockout bar.

I found that there were two nuts (left hand thread, as I recall) on the spindle shaft behind that shroud.  I measured the outer of the two nuts, and then turned a recess in my wooden hand wheel  with a diameter slightly less than the dimension across the points of the nut.  I pressed the nut into the recess using a bench vise, and then glued it in place with epoxy, filling the space left by the 'flats' on the nuts with the epoxy.  Once that cured, I replaced what was left of the plastic shroud, and then simply screwed the hand wheel onto the spindle shaft.

Many years ago, I saw a YouTube about making a 'hand wheel' from MDF, but applying compound to the outer perimeter so that it could serve double duty as a hone to sharpen tools.  Interesting idea, but perhaps a bit messy.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2018 at 3:45pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Harbor Freight
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 4:54pm

JosephDaniel Smith wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
Daniel, a little more info on how this attaches to the spindle.Thanks,,, a joe in south Texas

The male wooden dowel threads into the female hole in the center of the spindle.  Basically you use the existed threaded hole as a tap/die to thread the wood. There is not enough meat to drill a hole to use the knock out bar with the wheel on the lathe so I don't leave it on all the time.

IP Logged

JosephDaniel Smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Port Lavaca, Texas, Texas, USA
Port Lavaca, Texas
Texas
USA

currently the Harbor freight one......Looking
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:12pm

Gotcha!.....many thanks

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Daniel Hayes wrote on Mar 10th, 2018 at 4:54pm:
There is not enough meat to drill a hole to use the knock out bar with the wheel on the lathe so I don't leave it on all the time.

This is why i bought a modular drive center set that mounts on the spindle thread instead of using the MT2 taper, which means i dont need to remove the handwheel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print