• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nova G3 Cole Jaws (Read 745 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Nova G3 Cole Jaws
Feb 21st, 2018 at 3:32pm

Here's a photo of the cole jaws I just made for my G3 chuck, from ideas gotten from the guys on this forum. Thanks. I used 1/2"baltic burch for the jaws and 10-24 T-nuts pressed into the back side. The screws are 10-24 socket head button style with a washer and tapered rubber plugs. The #10 screws are a tight fit into the rubber buttons and locate real good.I left the pointed 90 deg. corners on the plywood to use as a locator in the drill press to locate the holes spaced out every 3/4" Jaw travel on that chuck changes the diameter 7/8" so all sizes of bowl or plate are covered. The largest open size is max. for my delta 12" lathe. I rotated the jaws back and forth in the drill press for the 221/2 degree holes pivoting the point against a small notch in a piece of wood clamped on the drill press. Need to purchase 32 more t-nuts. Everythings from Ace Hardware. comments appreciated. Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Nova G3 Cole Jaws
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:59pm

Very nice looking, now give them a spin and let us know how well they work.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 2:50pm

Ed, the bowls I have turned so far, I have used a dovetail undercut on the bottom in my G3 chuck and left it on the bowl as finished. Now i'm starting a 6" dia. bowl that's 3" high and want to use a tenon and then finish it off in those cole jaws. My standard jaws will hold about a 2 1/4 dia. What is a good length to leave the tenon held safely in those nova jaws that have a kind of gripper on the edges?
thanks, Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:40am

If I understand you correctly, standard 2" or 50mm jaws are large enough for a 6" bowl.
If you use a tenon, I would make it no less than 1/4" and no more than 3/8". You don't want the tenon to bottom out. This is usually strong enough for most wood species, provided you don't do anything crazy.
Now that you have Cole Jaws, never let your regular chuck jaws determine the size of the foot.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:41am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:07am

Thanks on that Ed. I'll go with 1/4". The wood where the tenon will be is Maple and above that is some mahogany.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 1:11pm

This Topic was moved here from Tips & Techniques by David Hamann.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:01am

I finally finished a 6" bowl with a tenon to try out the homemade cole jaws. Seemed to work fine. The rubber is soft enough to compress but still very stiff with the bolt supporting it. Used the tailstock to support it except for the small post at center. I think i'm still more confident with a dovetail recess rather then a tenon, but it worked ok. Here's a couple of pictures. Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:09am

Well done, the base ring fits the piece not the chuck as so many do.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:24am

Thanks Ed. Appreciate it, Geo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print