WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
White Oak for Turning?
Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:19pm

Is white oak not a good wood to turn? The tear out even with freshly sharpened tools is pretty bad. When I roughed out the last piece it went in the kiln at 20.7% moisture and took it out today to do a finish turning and it was at 5.9% but no matter what I tried the tear out on the end grain was bad. The more I tried to get it out with a shear cut the worse it appeared to get.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: White Oak for Turning?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:01pm

You might try using shellac and/or CA to firm up the end grain.  I turn a lot of oak, mostly red oak, but have not had that kind of problem with the white oak as you have.  Also, even though it is end grain, just like petting a dog, make sure you are not cutting cutting when the grain is not supported. I know that is not always possible.

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm

Allan it may just be an unusual tree or any number of other things because I use white oak and they make some of the best salad bowls that I make and sell. There are so many different species of oak that are all classified into a large group called white oak. Of all the trees of white oak I have used only one ever gave me any degree of difficulty and that was in cracking.

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2018 at 2:23pm

I got several new chisels from carter and sons now and I think that was 90% of the problem, the old cheapie chisels weren’t heat treated very well and had a hard time holding an edge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print