Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sharpening Neg. Rake Scraper Help (Read 517 times)

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Sharpening Neg. Rake Scraper Help
Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:09am

I have gotten a couple of NRS. I like them so far...learning as I go. I need a good you tube or tutorial on sharpening them or how do you experienced guys sharpen yours? One of them has 2 angles and that will be a little bit to learn..Can I just do one angle on that side ? It probably is there for a reason I would guess. Any help is appreciated.I have googled but havent found what I need yet!!!!

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Re: Sharpening Neg. Rake Scraper Help
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:02am

Mike,

The way I sharpen ALL of my NRS is to set my Robo-Rest to 35 degrees and sharpen both sides. Others may use a different angle. Set my tool rest so that the NRS is at center or slightly above and take very light cuts.

Rudy Lopez first introduced me to NRS about 5 yrs ago and I've used them ever since.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:03am by Ron Carrabotta »  

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:49am

Mike, I grind the top at 15 - 20 degrees, and pretty far back.  The front at about 70.  To resharpen, I grind the front only until the top bevel gets too short.  I use 70 for all scrapers, and this just makes it simpler.  Everybody seems to do ti differently and I don't think the angles are at all critical, so do what works for you!!!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:52am

Mike, you're not using these on your flutes are you?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 10:55am

I do know that I mention it in my sharpening video, but haven't done the NRS video yet... There are two 'styles' of the NRS, one has the same angle grind on both sides, more resembling a skew, and the other has different grinds, most seeming to be in the 70/30 range or so. With the skew type ones, you just set the angle on your platform. Grind the old burr off, which is the side you will be using up, then grind/raise a new burr by grinding the other side. Most of mine are in the 30/30 range. For the 70/30 ones, I use the same process, so grind the 30 degree angle first, then grind the 70 degree one second. This style, I generally prefer the raised burr with a carbide burnishing tool rather than the grinder burr.

The NRS with the skew type grind is a high maintenance tool. I do show one short clip with it at the end of the shear scraping video I have up in the video section here. With a 1/4 round profile, you can make one sweep from center to rim of about a 10 inch bowl, starting with the pointed nose, and finishing with the rounded heel, and the burr is gone. If you are trying it with a very hard wood, the burr most likely will not make the full cut without a second sharpening. In use, you just barely touch the edge to the wood. If you have to push at all, the edge is dull.

The 70/30 with a burnished burr is far more durable. The 30/30 type does not burnish as well due to the acute angle and fragile edge.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Mike Turner
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
Laurinburg
North Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 4:43pm

Ed Weber wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 9:52am:
Mike, you're not using these on your flutes are you?

No I am just experimenting cleaning up some bowls.I havent really done a whole lot with them.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 8:54am

I sharpen mine  like Ron does.  Look at the like he posted.  That's the lsat tool to touch my bowl before sanding.   Only used to remove tool marks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print