WR Rocks!

Gaffney, South Carolina, USA
Gaffney
South Carolina
USA

Harbor Freight,Delta
Respiratory problems
Feb 28th, 2018 at 7:44pm

Hello all.  Only been turning about a year.  Started out making my own turkey calls then pens and now have the bowl/plater addiction.
Was wondering if there are certain species of wood that I should most definitely wear a respirator for.  I currently have no form of dust collection in my garage.  I generally turn wet wood and dust is not a problem.  I have turned a few dry pieces of black walnut and Osage and the dust was horrible.  Again just wondering if there are some species of woods that can actually be dangerous?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Respiratory problems
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 7:59pm

Yes, Here is a wood toxicity chart
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jayson Grazel
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Gaffney
South Carolina
USA

Harbor Freight,Delta
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:20pm

Thanks Ed

IP Logged

lloyd harner

WR Rocks!

littlestown, Pennsylvania, USA
littlestown
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2018 at 8:34pm

in a nut shell tho do you really want any of it in your system?  when im grinding turning or milling its on me less its less then a min. of tool time (3M respirator )

IP Logged

Jayson Grazel
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Gaffney
South Carolina
USA

Harbor Freight,Delta
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 7:40pm

After seeing chart of toxicity I am all in for a good respirator.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:47am

Some take a while to bother you... I don't turn walnut any more, or mimosa/silk tree. Generally the stronger it smells, the worse it is for you...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 1:37pm

Again... how  are you going to remember what wood you turned if you don't have the colored boogers to show for it??? Shocked

Sheeesh!!! Roll Eyes

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Charlie Knauer
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Delta
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 3:15pm

Thanks for the link Ed.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 5:57pm

So far, i'm still good with walnut and LOVE the smell!!! Thumbs Up

Then again,  I used to be able to pull poison ivy out of the ground and not react. Now, after 30 or so yrs, i'll get a mild reaction to it. Shocked

I DO react to Metformin quite intensely!!! Shocked

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:01pm

Wise to use a respirator!
The chart of toxic woods should be something we all look at.
Even though you may not react initially, there are some reactions that take some time to start.  It depends on the immune system of the individual.  When there are quick reactions, it's easy to figure out the cause.  In the case of some folks I've cared for, it took a bit of digging and lots of questions to figure out their particular respiratory problems--triggered  from the woods they worked with.
Also some woods do harbor some bacteria and fungi that when inhaled--do not do good things in your lungs. in those instances most docs will miss the initial diagnosis because the onset isn't immediate--sometimes specific tests then antibiotics or antifungal agents are needed.  We (woodworkers) know that spalting is caused by the action of bacteria and fungi in the wood---bottom line:  Take care of your lungs!

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 2:52pm

I have asthma and the dust bothers me. I don’t turn, sand, or cut on any saw unless I’m wearing a mask.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:01pm

Me and several friends found out that red-line spalt in sweet gum will put you in the hospital!!  Several other spalts and species of wood will do the same.  Several years ago a turner in Cal. was killed by Silky oak and another hospitalized by it. I turn 18" in front of an exaust fan for my sinuses ect.  Because of dust and lacquer spray as well.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:02pm by robert baccus »  

IP Logged

Harold Tinling
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

nanaimo BC, British Columbia, Canada
nanaimo BC
British Columbia
Canada

General 26 vs
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 10:40am

I’m a 85 year wood turner. I worked in dusty dirty shops welding and fabricating etc and now wood turning.
I have been diagnosed with CO PD in a mild form. This disease
Is the number 3 killer in north america.
Just a bit of advice to those who don't mask up.
Get a respirator and use it. They give lung, eye and some also give ear protection
COPD can’t be cured but can be arresteded.
Don’t wait till lts to late.

IP Logged

Mark Dinges
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Old Sears Craftsman.
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:21pm

I am a brand new member of this forum and relatively new to wood turning. When I just logged in and saw this topic, I couldn't believe it, the exact topic I need information on. As stated earlier, I am fairly new to wood turning. What turning I have done so far, has usually been done with me wearing a disposable mask. Unfortunately, in mid April, I became ill. Headaches, accompanied by neck pain and stiffness, fatigue and just generally not feeling well. To give a little background, I own some acreage, with a considerable amount of woods. The wood I have turned has almost exclusively been wood that I have salvaged in my woods. Dead trees or broken limbs that are down. The majority of the wood has probably been walnut, with some cherry, locust and ash. After seeing two different doctors, reading/researching and trying to recall my recent activities, it has been pretty much determined that I inhaled mold dust while turning wood. I felt very ill for about 12 weeks. Although I enjoy turning wood, I am afraid to go back to turning. I have been looking at respirators, mainly the 3M brand. But, I question if utilizing a respirator will prevent me from having similar problems in the future. I have been reading where wood dust in your eyes or on your skin can be hazardous too. I would like to hear from members on this forum about what protection devices they are using and their experiences. Has any one known of wood turners having problems, even though they are using a respirator? Again, I enjoy turning, but feel afraid to go back to turning. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 5:58pm

Mark if you can get a positive air pressure face shield like the airshield or versaflo.  They work by pulling air through a filter in the helmet and forcing it into the face shield and out vents in the bottom.  This will filter all the air around your face.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print