WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: wood turners smock
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:49am

Given that designs occasionally change, you might consider asking on the Sorby web site.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:57pm

Mine doesn't - just a pencil pocket on the sleeve which I have never got into the habit of using..

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Steve MItchell

WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 4:08pm

Just FYI, I went to my closet, then surplus store and now use military  BDU shirts. The newer ones have velcor closure at collar. They Zip up and are like 10.00 each if you deal with them. I purchased three besides the old ones I had from service.  1 long sleeve and short sleeve. The  one which  I cut off the sleeves is great when I have  a long sleeve shirt on. They  already have pockets on sleeves. I had the lady at my cleaners sew in pencil pockets for 5.00.
Steveo

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:33am

I hate using my $ to pay for something that is advertising for a company.  So no Sorby smock, no EZ smock, etc.  Hard to escape it with shoes any more so some of my shoes have a N on them.  I don't mind advertising for an organization so I do by AAW stuff, etc

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 11:41am

I like the AAW smock it is very lightweight which is great here in the steamy tropics.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 11:44am

I do have the AAW smock and it is good but I would rather have one with longer sleeves to keep shavings from going up the arms.  It does have a thru pocket in the back tho.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 1:03pm

I never had shavings go up my arms Arlin.  Longer sleeves can be a safety hazard.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Al Wasser wrote on Apr 27th, 2018 at 1:03pm:
I never had shavings go up my arms Arlin.  Longer sleeves can be a safety hazard.

Al

I have worn long sleeves in the winter for the last 8 years and never a problem.  A person never needs to lean the arms over the turning and if it has to be done then turn it off.

I worked as a machinist, welder, Sheet metal troop in the Air Force for Loooog time and a person just has to be safe in how they do things.  I never wore a ring at work due to AF rules, but like I said a hand or arm never has to go by the moving parts ever and if it does turn it off. 

Also like Gloves which is the exact same as long sleeves.  Being a machinist I wore gloves or got our hands eaten up by chips or curls of metal.  I do wear a glove on my right hand but not the left just do to choice and that is all. 

If I have to sand or feel the turning then turn it off and then feel it.

I teach all and way above safety to the vets I teach and things most will find is not needed like a full face shield is always needed where most just think safely glasses is enough.  I also have to teach Common sense but most of the guys and gals have had enough safety ingrained in them to know what is right and what is wrong.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2018 at 7:29pm by Arlin Eastman »  

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 9:47am

Arlin, you must turn a little differently than I do.  My left fore arm is often quite close to the spinning chuck or wood so I know I need to be watchful if I have long sleeves on.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 11:24am

You could always get a pair of underarmor arm sleeves they fit snug from the wrist to the top of your bicep.  Added benefit is the compression will help with blood circulation in the arms for long turning sessions.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 12:04pm

Al

My first 5 years of turning was from a wheel chair and could not get that close.  Plus since I had so many broken bones and many other things from the bombing in the middle east I was very hesitant on doing anything to get worse.

Also Al I had to learn how to use both hands in turning since if I did not I had to turn the chair so many times to do the cuts and of course I was still learning by being self taught and watching DVDs and I highly encourage you and everyone else to turn with either hand since it makes turning so much easier.

Also I never rest my arms on anything close to the lathe and if you do off set turning you will also have to think always of arms getting to close and well fingers to unless a person likes pain.  lol

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:06pm

My friend, you are amazing!  You have over came many challenges in life and appear to be winning big time.  Keep it up.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 1:42pm

Al

All I can say is By Gods Grace I am still alive and my pride was a very bitter pill to swallow and asking for help.

I had to learn to ask for help and I was one of those who helped everyone eagerly with no benefit to myself since it was God who told use to help others.  Then patience wow it was so hard to wait or to relearn again.

I had to go to the VA for 7 years to learn to read and write and cognitive thinking and since I was a member of WoodNet I had to give them my password so they could monitor what I wrote and if I understood what others were telling me and If I responded correctly.  Yep a long 7 years and the same with physical therapy.  I am now free of all of it.
That is one of the reasons I teach other vets is not only to help them but to keep them from going the suicide way since it seems at the time a very easy way to get rid of the pain, loneliness and other things.

I am proud of everyone who takes the time to talk or show others how to do wood turning or other things to help others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print