Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
where does everyone sell online? (Read 2,888 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: where does everyone sell online?
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:14pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding Don

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:01am

Still sounds a bit OCD to me.  I can't imagine working at that level of doing only one thing over and over and over ad nauseum. 

More power to him but what sort if life is that. 

I guess it takes all kinds. Roll Eyes

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

YoYoSpin
WR Noob

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 6:15pm

I sold turnings through Etsy for several years, but became frustrated when they changed their policies to allow mass-production items on their "handmade" site. Switched to Zibbet two years ago and I'm glad I did...no listing fees, no sales commissions, just a flat monthly or annual fee. Here's the link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best regards,&&Ed D.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 7:00pm

Thanks Ed

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 10:10pm

I've tried internet and found you really have to do it the hard way and that's higher end shows. I also found bowls don't sell well and to do it you have to discount them too much. Everybody loves the bowls and pick them up but don't buy. I do keep them around and sell a couple each show. I sell high end mills and on the low end are bottle stoppers and spatulas.
Etsy (edited out).lol

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 9:16pm

oops
Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 8:37am

Lee, you could say that Etsy "Hoovers". Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Terry Louis

WR Rocks!

Pacifica, California, USA
Pacifica
California
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:33pm

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 2nd, 2018 at 12:57pm:
Thought I heard somewhere that Glen Lucas makes 3000 bowls a year.  That's a lot of product in almost any channel.  I've never heard a number for Michael Mahoney, only that he makes a lot of bowls.

I do not know about Glen Lucas. And have an understanding. That Mike Mahoney sell mostly bowl blanks or unfinished nest of bowls.

IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #23 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 11:08am

I just made my 1,000th Etsy sale. Etsy can be amazingly profitable if you approach it like a business not a hobby.

Below are some alternatives:
Your own website
Facebook
Instagram
Absolute Arts
Aftcra
Artfire
Cratejoy
Handmade at Amazon
Hyena Cart
Zibbet

You can get more info here..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #24 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 2:26pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:44am:
Why would anyone believe that anyone could make AND finish 10 bowls a day 6 days a week all year long AND have a  2 week vacation??

A bowl an hour from start to finish means he is turning 10 hours STRAIGHT with no bathroom breaks, or stopping for food or resharpening the tools!

I suppose he could be wearing depends, so that is covered. Shocked
...and maybe a feeding tube right into his stomach.  Roll Eyes

Really???   You REALLY believe that is possible???

Remember, that also includes cutting the logs into blanks , so he isn't actually turning all day long. At some point, he needs to replenish his wood supply.

Sounds more like an urban myth type of thing. 

Odds are likely that he has minions helping including with the actual turning. His BUSINESS could be turning out 3,000 bowls a year, but not likely that HE alone is doing any such thing.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true! Roll Eyes

Sheeesh!

I do not know Ralph.  If I remember right Mike can hollow out a green bowl in 10 minutes and then lets it dry for what ever time and then 20 minutes of finishing.  I seen a stash of over 10,000 bowl blanks drying and was quite envious of all the wood.

I would also like to add that if you make a bowl or box do it differently either by displaying it with flair or adding different ways of adding or taking away from it.  A bowl that is segmented or making a bowl within a bowl or things like that.
Google wood turned items you wish to do and or old clay art 1000 to 3000 years ago and see how they did it.

How about a bowl that rests on another upside down bowl or supported another way.  Just things to think about
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2020 at 2:38pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

John Hicks
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

shingletown, California, USA
shingletown
California
USA

Harvey T60-S
Reply #25 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 10:07am

Mr. Lucas I believe, has a superman cape hidden under his smock.

1. Processes all his own blanks (thousands)
2. Does all his own coring
3. Teaches classes to people coming from all over the world
4. Makes tons of instruction DVD's
5. Turns thousands of bowls a year
6. Has the video production quality of Ben Hur.
7. Possibly never sleeps
8. Everything is always perfect. Even the warm glow from the fire on the bowl gouges as they effortlessly glide through the wood without nary a single mistake or bump.

This guy has got to be Superman!

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #26 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:01am

YoYoSpin wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 6:15pm:
I sold turnings through Etsy for several years, but became frustrated when they changed their policies to allow mass-production items on their "handmade" site. Switched to Zibbet two years ago and I'm glad I did...no listing fees, no sales commissions, just a flat monthly or annual fee. Here's the link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've been perusing the Zibbet web site and it appears that they 'push' your advert to several other sites as well as their own.  Suggesting that with your $5 monthly fee you end up potentially selling on up to four different web site (etsy, etc.).  Am I reading that correctly?  thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #27 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:07am

[quote author=745B505057585B4C6167514B50595B3E0 link=1521684506/23#23 date=1578067736]I just made my 1,000th Etsy sale. Etsy can be amazingly profitable if you approach it like a business not a hobby.

While my turning is my 'hobby' I also use the proceeds to 'fund' my hobby.  I've thought of using Etsy and while I recognize that my pieces are what I would qualify as better than half of what I see...still, there are others where I cannot fathom how they actually make the pieces at the price they're charging.  I just saw a segmented bowl for $40 and based off the comment section it suggests they've sold at least ten of these.

1) How are you defining 'treat as a business' as opposed to a hobby?; and secondly,
2) Are you willing to share with me your Etsy store name such that I can see what yours looks like?
3) And finally...you said you've just sold your 1,000 piece.  Roughly...how many pieces a week, month, or year do you think you sell on average?

THANKS...John

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:49am

weather we like it or not pieces sell or the price people will pay and that's the price. I had to discount my bowls before they would sell. Don't make them anymore. Shocked

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #29 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:52am

Lee Watermann wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 10:49am:
weather we like it or not pieces sell or the price people will pay and that's the price. I had to discount my bowls before they would sell. Don't make them anymore. Shocked

For comparison purposes only...are you willing to share what you charge for a bowl?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print