Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
where does everyone sell online? (Read 1,861 times)

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

where does everyone sell online?
Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:08pm

Does anyone here sell online anymore?  I have been doing the Etsy thing for a few years but not only is it getting over saturated with turners its now getting saturated with ridiculously low priced items.  I am limited on the weekends i can do craft shows as this is a second job for me so selling online is the most practical option but Etsy is getting rough.  Some are selling things for close to what i pay for the wood.  Is there any other online market that is like what Etsy used to be?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: where does everyone sell online?
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:21am

chris lawrence wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:08pm:
Some are selling things for close to what i pay for the wood.

I've seen this as well and you need to ignore it.
I know it's easy to say but you need to give the customers a reason to buy your products not theirs.
Better description
Better photo
Better turning
Better finish
The list goes on
There should be a distinct difference as to why your piece costs more, you need to convey that to the potential customer.

Websites like ETSY and craft fairs will always have dog dishes for sale, it's in their interest to sell anything they can. For them it doesn't matter what you sell, as long as you sell.

To your original question there are dozens of alternative sites for hadmade items, you'll have to pick the one that fits your needs.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:21pm

Thanks for the link.  I dont plan on lowering my prices and i try to do all the things you listed.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:23pm

I've seen pieces plenty of pieces that list for the same price I pay for a blank of the same species. The only "good" thing is that they usually are of the dog dish variety.
As my better half always reminds me, they may be trying to sell them at that price but is anyone really buying them? I usually look at past sales by sellers of those type of items.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:26pm

The strange part is some of the bowls i am seeing look pretty good by the photos.  The only assumption i can come to is there trying to compete price wise with the dog bowl producers.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:12am

In addition to what Ed listed, perhaps one should try to be selling something that doesn't look in a photo like so many others.  Perhaps that's why there is such a focus on carving and embellishments.  When people come into my studio they can see that I have commercial overhead and say they understand that people working in their basement have huge savings.  They volunteer an opinion that my bowls seem more functional and more distinctive, but they still want that "fast food hamburger" price for a gourmet burger with gourmet ingredients.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:27am

Don Stephan wrote on Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:12am:
Perhaps that's why there is such a focus on carving and embellishments.

I don't disagree with you

IMO a dog dish is a dog dish whether it's embellished or not.
I think it's better to refine what you're doing before you commit to adding elements like carving  etc. You may be able to ask a higher price for the carved product but it is also more work and doesn't really solve the inequity problem.

I would much rather see a simple bowl done well than a complex bowl done poorly.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:49pm

compete price wise with the dog bowl producers
Hey -- Careful....!

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 2:12pm

May not be directly consistent with the original question, but I've always been curious where the volume independent turners move so much product.  Richard Raffan before he retired, Glen Lucas, and Michael Mahoney are examples.

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 9:46am

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 1st, 2018 at 2:12pm:
May not be directly consistent with the original question, but I've always been curious where the volume independent turners move so much product. Richard Raffan before he retired, Glen Lucas, and Michael Mahoney are examples.

I think their business is an all around woodturning business (selling their items, classes, books, tools, other products, etc.). I doubt they rely only on selling their craft nowadays. The same is for selling their items. Probably they rely on different channels, especially several galleries, agents, etc.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 12:57pm

Thought I heard somewhere that Glen Lucas makes 3000 bowls a year.  That's a lot of product in almost any channel.  I've never heard a number for Michael Mahoney, only that he makes a lot of bowls.

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:42pm

3000 bowls a year...10 a day, every day, six days a week, all year, with a 2 week vacation.
That's knocking them out.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:44am

Why would anyone believe that anyone could make AND finish 10 bowls a day 6 days a week all year long AND have a  2 week vacation??

A bowl an hour from start to finish means he is turning 10 hours STRAIGHT with no bathroom breaks, or stopping for food or resharpening the tools!

I suppose he could be wearing depends, so that is covered. Shocked
...and maybe a feeding tube right into his stomach.  Roll Eyes

Really???   You REALLY believe that is possible???

Remember, that also includes cutting the logs into blanks , so he isn't actually turning all day long. At some point, he needs to replenish his wood supply.

Sounds more like an urban myth type of thing. 

Odds are likely that he has minions helping including with the actual turning. His BUSINESS could be turning out 3,000 bowls a year, but not likely that HE alone is doing any such thing.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true! Roll Eyes

Sheeesh!

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:14am

Don Stephan wrote on Apr 2nd, 2018 at 12:57pm:
Thought I heard somewhere that Glen Lucas makes 3000 bowls a year.  That's a lot of product in almost any channel.  I've never heard a number for Michael Mahoney, only that he makes a lot of bowls.

John Cepko wrote on Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:42pm:
3000 bowls a year...10 a day, every day, six days a week, all year, with a 2 week vacation.
That's knocking them out.

There is a vast difference between 'turning" a bowl and finishing or completing a bowl.
Turning a large number of bowls per day is relatively easy, provided you're properly set up for such a task. Production turning is a different world than what most hobbyist turners experience. You typically don't complete one at a time, you turn 20 or 30, then the next day you begin to finish 20 or 30 and so on.
As with most woodworking and numerous other crafts, prep time and finish time far outweigh actual time on the machine.
Time needed for the act of turning itself is minimal.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:23pm

The question wasn't whether one person could complete thousands of bowls a year, but what channel(s) would be used to sell a large quantity.

Watch Mr. Lucas' videos to appreciate his rate of production.  Maybe it was 2000 instead of 3000 a year - regardless, it is a full time production effort.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print