Send Topic Print
howard "Feed-n-wax" (Read 381 times)

Alex Leibowitz
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

old
howard "Feed-n-wax"
Mar 24th, 2018 at 4:35pm

Hey people....any experience good or bad with this product?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: howard "Feed-n-wax"
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 5:00pm

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by David Hamann.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:32pm

One of the first finishes I tried, and still use occasionally. Rub it on let dry and buff with paper towel gives a nice luster. Only occasionally use it now though as currently loving just walnut oil.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:46pm

Totally Turning is a regional show that takes place in Saratoga Springs each March.  Coincidentally, it's happening this weekend.  The first year I went, I saw a demonstration by Richard Raffen in which he used Howard's Feed'n Wax to finish a walnut bowl.  He commented that it was commonly used in Australia although it's not widely discussed.

So I bought a bottle to try.  And the first observation is that of all the materials promoted as finishes for woodturning, Feed'n Wax has to be the most widely available.  Just about every hardware and big box store carries it.

Feed'n Wax is a simple oil and wax finish - the oil is a predominantly orange-based citrus oil, and the wax is a blend of beeswax and carnauba.  It easy to use - sand the piece, wipe it on, and buff it in.  It enhances the grain while leaving a nice soft glow in the wood.  And it smells good!

I have a 'coin dish' on the night stand next to our bed that was finished with Feed'n Wax.  After four or five years, I decided that it needed to be refinished - all that was required was to remount the dish, wipe on a fresh coat of Feed'n Wax, and buff.  The point is that while it is simple to use, it's not a hard finish, and it may need to be refreshed periodically.  But that's easy to do.

The label doesn't say anything about 'food safe', and the MSDS implies that it contains mineral spirits. 

Bottom line - I like it.  It's not my first choice (I tend to prefer finishes based on Tung Oil), but it's a simple, quick way to finish a turned piece that doesn't need to be fancy.

One other point - Feed'n Wax is part of a family of products that can be used to clean and recondition older pieces without actually refinishing them.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:50pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 7:21pm

Always wondered what is being fed, since wood is a collection of dead cells.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print