Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old School or New School? (Read 623 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Old School or New School?
Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:03am

Many new tools and technologies have been seeping into woodworking over the last several years. Some are welcomed and so are not. Many times this division falls along generational lines (how old you are) but not always. Sometimes it's the price of it, you might buy it if it didn't cost so much. There are many reason why and/or when technology or advancements in general enter our lives. Woodturning tools are no exception. Many of these tools have been well received and some are destined to collect dust.
So here are a few examples of what I mean. Do you like the new replaceable tip tools or do you prefer traditional tools that require sharpening? Do you like a "quick-change" jaws or do you favor screws? Do you prefer wooden handled tools or prefer a interchangeable metal handle?

I love my CBN wheels, I think they are a great advancement. I also prefer wooden handled tools.

QOTW
Do you prefer the older, the newer or a combination of the two

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: Old School or New School?
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 9:56am

I think that as i am into this world at a late date in my life, My  view is scewed (...and I HATE scewes!!!)more to whatever makes it work for me.  I really have no preference one way or another to new or old technology.
...well, except that i got rid of an old Grizzley lathe as soon as i turned on a Robust at David Ellsworth's class!!
Couldn't afford it so I got a PM.

As soon as i read about the CBN wheels, I switched out the stone ones  and never looked back.

I use both "regular" tools as well as  the replacable tips ones, have handles that came with the tool, have the interchangeable metal ones and have made some of my own handles to set Cindy Drozda's tool inserts and tools.

Whatever works. My plans for either this year or next is to get one of those setups for monitor/laser guiding the tool  tip for wall thickness. I'm a (edited out) for this stuff!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

A plus for me is that I do not have a wife nor have kids to waste my money so I can afford these  toys! Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:20pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:43am

For me it's cost. I learned long ago to buy the best tool for the job that I can justify. To justify, means how many times will I use it? Over and over= more $$. Only once=less $. I bought a lathe to turn things so I make my own handles. Can't justify buying handles I can make.  I am getting into stabilizing wood. So this weekend, I explained to my wife why I can buy a toaster over for the shop. Looked around and got the largest for $$ I could justify. (Walmart, $40, 6 slice, Black & Decker). I will be using it quite a lot.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:22pm

Can't even remember what word i used that would get edited out!! Roll Eyes

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:59pm

Combination of the two for me - I like the modern steel in Thompson tools and sharpen them on a CBN wheel but I put wooden handles on them. I can't get excited about the modular handles although I confess I have never turned with one. I have never owned a carbide tool but am beginning to consider a Hunter tool (or two) for hollowing.

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:05pm

Best tool for the job, probably why my carbide tools have begun operating as dust collectors on the back rack. To me the “smarter” the tool gets the more issues can arise.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 7:24pm

You guys didn't have to answer about handles, that was just an example  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:33am

I'm pretty much in line with Ralph, whatever works best, for me.

Learned to turn in the late 60's and all we had were carbon steel tools. After a 40 yr hiatus, when I got back into it, I tried a little bit of everything and now I use a little bit of everything.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:34am by Ron Carrabotta »  

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Ronald Plumley

Apple Ridge Woodturners,
Etowah River Woodturners

Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
Talking Rock
Georgia
USA

PM3520b
Rockwell 46-111
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 5:13pm

It seems to me that when new tools are introduced, they're,  more often than not, biased towards making something easier or simpler, so they have had the design balance changed towards whatever that something is...  Keeping this in mind, I have to put myself in the "Used what works" camp. I have tools that are good all-arounders and I have some that are not good for much of anything... except for that ONE THING. 

As for tool handles, the biggest disappointment for me thus far has been the oneway interchangeable handle I bought a couple of years ago. The tool rotates in the plastic sheathing making it next to impossible to keep the hollowing tool for which it was purchased in the right orientation for hollowing.

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 7:06pm

Interesting question.  Probably a mix.  Mostly old school, especially when it comes to electronics.  I do woodworking to get away from the computer but it is nice to have so much information at my fingertips when learning or preparing to do something new.  I don't want the electronics in the shop though.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 7:54am

Ralph, made the Alan  Zenreich camera setup with a cctv camera and a 7" monitor. Cost was under 30 bucks if I remember. I don't use it because I don't hollow deep forms yet. Built it to see how it works -- great! I might start using it though, because my bowl depth perception could use improvement! My "O" ring dowel setup works, but not good enough.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Can't find his original video, but this will do.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2018 at 7:55am by Glenn Roberts »  

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print