Send Topic Print
Labeling your work (Read 160 times)

Richard Shelby
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Labeling your work
Apr 9th, 2018 at 3:51pm

I've begun labeling my pieces, signing them, and assigning an inventory number to keep track of sales. Up to now I've used a fine-tip marker. The problem comes when darker colored wood (ex: Walnut)  makes black ink almost invisible.  What do you use to mark your work? Does anyone use laser engraving?  What sort of grinder do you use ?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

Re: Labeling your work
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:03pm

I use a laser engraver i picked up for engraving pens.  Its a small one that the laser moves side to side and the platform moves back and forth.  It engraves a 1.5 inch square so i make a disk out of wood  roughly 2 1/8 inches and engrave that.  99% of the stuff i turn i use a recess for my chuck.  I fill the recess in with that disk.  You can also find small engravers that have no bottom the laser moves side to side and back and forth.  You just place it over what you want to engrave.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:18pm

I use a wood burning tool with a small ball tip.  I think my brand is a Detailer?  I print the wording first in pencil, so I can erase if it turns out off center.  Then burn over the printing, then lightly sand away any remaining pencil marks.  Then I apply my finish.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:21am

I use the Colwood Cub with a #2 ball tip pen to sign and date my pepper mills and have a couple of brands for my cutting boards.

IP Logged

Richard Shelby
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:55am

chris lawrence wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:03pm:
I use a laser engraver i picked up for engraving pens.  Its a small one that the laser moves side to side and the platform moves back and forth.  It engraves a 1.5 inch square so i make a disk out of wood  roughly 2 1/8 inches and engrave that.  99% of the stuff i turn i use a recess for my chuck.  I fill the recess in with that disk.  You can also find small engravers that have no bottom the laser moves side to side and back and forth.  You just place it over what you want to engrave.

Chris, Which laser engraver do you use? Does it stand up to repeated use?

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Long Island, New York, USA
Long Island
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:04am

They make metallic colored felt tip pens (Sharpie, for one) in silver that I would think might stand out on a dark wood. I have no idea how well the ink stands up over time.

IP Logged

Ronald Plumley

Apple Ridge Woodturners,
Etowah River Woodturners

Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
Talking Rock
Georgia
USA

PM3520b
Rockwell 46-111
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 11:45am

Chris Brock wrote on Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:04am:
They make metallic colored felt tip pens (Sharpie, for one) in silver that I would think might stand out on a dark wood. I have no idea how well the ink stands up over time.

The problem with Sharpies (and other similar pens) is that the ink is soluble in some finishes, like polyurethane and, presumably (I don't normally use it) lacquer. You write on your bowl with your Sharpie and then start putting polyurethane on and it smears or dissolves your signature. Archival ink pens are made to get around this. I've just started using the archival ink pens, and thus far have been happy with them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print