Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Inertia Sanders
Apr 13th, 2018 at 11:39pm

I have gotten back into using an Inertia sander after a hiatus  of about 10 yrs.  I am using it as my first choice when ever I can and my power sanding has become my second choice. With the Inertia Sander I have 1", 2" and 3" discs I use and I think it does a better job and just as quick as power sanding.

It was a you tube video from Brendan Stemp that got me interested in using it again.  My IS is a DIY version and I am going to make a new one with a longer handle so I can do the inside of vases and HF's.

Are there many other turners out there using an Inertia Sander?

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Re: Inertia Sanders
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 11:17am

My choice is a DIY inertia sander also.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 2:39pm

I have no idea what they are. Do you have a picture??
thanks, Geo.

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Love mine, it really gives a nice finish. Built it out of this Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 3:16pm

George Stratton wrote on Apr 14th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
I have no idea what they are. Do you have a picture??
thanks, Geo.

Geo

Here's a link to a commercial version sold by PSI - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Basically, an inertial sander is a handle with a rotating sanding disc that is powered by the rotation of the piece being sanded.  The rotation of the workpiece causes the sanding disk to rotate, and that rotation causes the disk to sand the workpiece.  That sounds a bit strange, but it takes about 5 seconds of use to get a feel for how you have to hold the disk against the rotating workpiece to cause the disk to spin, while still allowing the sandpaper to work the surface you are sanding.

Commercial versions offer adjustable angles, and often can accommodate a variety of disk sizes. 

But you can easily make one (or several) from scraps of wood, a bearing, and a mandrel to hold sanding disks.   The first one I made has the sanding disk perpendicular to the handle (the axis of rotation of the disk corresponds to the axis of the handle).  It was a neat project, but proved to be a bit clumsy to use.  So I made a second one with the axis of the disk at 45deg to the axis of the handle.  That's the one that I use far more often.

If you make one, the key thing to remember is that the disk mandrel has to rotate.  I made my mandrels by turning a scrap of wood to a 2" diameter (to match my sanding disks),  and attached velcro on one face.  I cut a hole the diameter of the outer race of the bearing on the opposite face, and with a bolt through the bearing, carefully glued the bearing into the hole, making sure to not get any glue on the inner race of the bearing.  The bolt then attaches everything to the handle. 

Capt Eddie has a  video Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register on making an inertial sander with interchangeable sanding heads using a bronze bushing instead of a bearing,  and a spherical magnet to hold the arbor/mandrel in place.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:47pm by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 8:58am

Please correct me if I am wrong, but for those who might not realize, inertial sanders aren't going to work well on once turned bowls that are not perfectly round.  damhik

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:06am

i bought the kit from Eddie.  Cheap way to see if you like this kind of sander.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:15am

Thanks on that guys. I looked them up and might try making one. I think I enjoy making fixtures as much as turning things. Background in tooling and engineering too long. Geo.

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 6:25am

I’ve been using a disc in a power drill but just decided I really need an inertia sander. I was going to make the whole thing but decided to buy this head and make the rest:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
d-only?c=28

It’s seems to be the most compact head I’ve seen so should be good for getting into deeper vessels etc.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:04am

I've bought a few things from Simon and found them all to be very good quality