David Schuelke

WR Rocks!

Beaumont, California, USA
Beaumont, California
USA

Laguna Revo 18 x 36 2hp
lathe suggestions
May 10th, 2018 at 10:12am

I am looking to upgrade from my Jet 1221 VS to a larger one, looking at the Powermatic 2020, I need to stay around $4000 total for the new unit, I turn almost exclusively bowls and platters any suggestions or recommendations please.

When I stopped living in the problem and began living in the answer the problem went away.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: lathe suggestions
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Never used one, but I think the full length knee bar to turn off the lathe is a great idea.  Have you looked at the capacity and price of Vicmarc lathes?

IP Logged

Warren White
WR Noob

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

Powermatic 2020
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 7:28pm

David, I wish the net would provide phone numbers more easily, because I would be delighted to talk to you about this.

I was in exactly the same situation you are in; I had a Jet midi and wanted to upgrade.  I did exactly what you are considering...I bought a Powermatic P2020 from Craft Supply in Utah.  I chose that because my "shop" space is limited (since it is my garage and it shares space with my car and all of the rest of my woodworking tools.  I also purchased a "Lift, Lock and Roll" accessory that made it all come together.  I just roll it out of the place where it is stored, and under an LCD shop light.

I love the Powermatic; I can turn up to 20 inch bowls/platters (although the largest I have actually turned was 16 inches), and it is also excellent for pens and other small items.  Since it has a larger thread size for the chucks, you will have to either have to invest in new chucks or an adapter (I did both and am happy with the adapter, although some have had some issues with the adapter they bought).

If you want to talk, drop a PM with your phone number.  I am also in California (Livermore, up north of you).

Warren

IP Logged

David Schuelke

WR Rocks!

Beaumont, California
USA

Laguna Revo 18 x 36 2hp
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2018 at 8:29am

Thank you Don and Warren....Warren I PM you

When I stopped living in the problem and began living in the answer the problem went away.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2018 at 10:58am

I have followed similar threads in the past year or so and while the Powermatic has been one of the favorites for years it has fall in popularity somewhat when compared to the costs of the new Grizzly and Laguna offerings.  I believe some of Powermatic's panache has fallen off as it too is now made overseas.  A number of turners both here and on other sites have really enjoyed either a Grizzly or Laguna, the cost point is such that it would help your stated budget go further with respects to chucks or other tools.  Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how it works out.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2018 at 12:07pm

I find myself in the same camp as John on this.
The Powermatic brand has a great reputation but that only goes so far.
Price is always a consideration when purchasing most anything. These days you can buy a Grizzly or Laguna as John mentioned, with more capacity and at a lower price. While the fit and finish of these machines may not be at the level of the Powermatic, it's up to you to decide what's more important to you.
You know the saying, get the biggest lathe you can afford.

IMO, The lathe is one of the simplest woodworking machines of them all (mechanically speaking) but commands an unjustified high price.

Good luck with your purchase

IP Logged

David Schuelke

WR Rocks!

Beaumont, California
USA

Laguna Revo 18 x 36 2hp
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2018 at 3:47pm

Thank you John and Ed, I will definitely research both the Laguna and  Grizzly, you make great points.

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2018 at 6:04am

Very very happy with my Laguna 1836. Has performed flawlessly for the few months I have had it.

IP Logged

Ronald Plumley

Apple Ridge Woodturners,
Etowah River Woodturners

Talking Rock, Georgia, USA
Talking Rock
Georgia
USA

PM3520b
Rockwell 46-111
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2018 at 1:30pm

David -
I started out with a 1960's Rockwell lathe and moved up a little over a year ago to a Powermatic 3520b. I've not regretted the upgrade at all... but I didn't buy mine new. I got it through a Craigslist ad. I don't know what the Craigslist looks like in your area, but I was able to get a 7 year old 3520b which was, from all indications, very lightly used PLUS a handful of Sorby tools for well under your budget.

Just... whatever you do, be sure to have several people around to help you put the new lathe together and move it where ever it goes. Those buggers are HEAVY.

IP Logged

David Schuelke

WR Rocks!

Beaumont, California
USA

Laguna Revo 18 x 36 2hp
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2018 at 5:54pm

Thank you Ronald, great suggestion.

IP Logged

David Schuelke

WR Rocks!

Beaumont, California
USA

Laguna Revo 18 x 36 2hp
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2018 at 6:07pm

After a great deal of research and review reading I just ordered a Grizzly G0766 22 x 42 3 hp. lathe. Thank you John and Ed for leading me in that direction, cant wait to start turning on it. I am building a new shop and will need to install 220 power for the lathe and Grizzly dust collector.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2018 at 6:10pm by David Schuelke »  

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:11pm

Buying a new gouge can bring some questions...buying an expensive lathe can be downright nerve wracking.  Hope you like what you ended up with...please give the group feedback once you're set-up and turning for a while.  I'm sure others would benefit from your feedback.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print