Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bowl Gouge Right Wing (Read 1,282 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Bowl Gouge Right Wing
May 16th, 2018 at 7:17am

Curious how people use the right wing on a bowl gouge.  Although I don't grind especially long wings, I use the left wing for a pull cut on the outside of a bowl, and for a light shear scrape (again on the outside of a bowl) coming up from the base.  And somewhere last week I saw a video using a pull cut from the center to remove the bulk inside a bowl.

The right wing on my bowl gouge gets even less use, sometimes on the outside of the bowl rim.  The right side of the bowl gouge is used on push cuts, but only a short section just off the nose of the gouge.

Almost of the jig sharpening videos I've seen show symmetric left and right bowl gouge wings, and I'm curious.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: Bowl Gouge Right Wing
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:13am

When I'm doing the final shaping on the outside of the bowl, I use a pull cut with the right wing. At this point, the bowl is in a chuck with the bottom of the bowl at the headstock end, so a pull cut towards the rim uses the right wing.

I'm confused by your method, using the left wing for a pull cut. Can you describe your process more, please? I can't see how I could use the left wing unless I was pulling from the tailstock toward the headstock, maybe turning left handed.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:23am

As Grant has already said, having the bowl mounted with the foot towards the headstock, the right wing is used for a typical downhill cut, pulling from the foot to the rim.
The right wing or at least a small portion near the tip, is engaged when hollowing out a basic bowl blank. The amount it's used depends on how aggressive you are cutting, i.e. how much you open the flute. At the 3 o'clock position you're using more wing, less tip. At the 12 o'clock position, you're using the tip straight on with virtually no use of the wings.
Other circumstances are areas like concave sections of the outside profile, (think large cove) and reverse turning.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:14pm

Sorry for the confusion.  I start bowls on a screw chuck or faceplate, with what will be the rim of the bowl closest to the headstock.  So I use a pull cut on the outside of the bowl from the tailstock, where the tenon for a 4 jaw chuck will be, towards the headstock where the bowl rim will be.  After the outside is completed, I remove the bowl-in-progress from the faceplate and grip the tenon in a 4 jaw chuck so that the inside of the bowl can be worked.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - May 16th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Understood Don, but there may be times when after re-mounting as you describe, you need to revisit the outside of the bowl. This could be because the bowl isn't running exactly true or some other reason like refining an area that has become more visible once the piece is viewed from the opposite angle.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2018 at 1:23pm

I often do a push cut from the bottom to the rim...tailstock to the headstock... using the right flute.

I might also use the left flute to start the turn off the bottom and then switch over to a push cut to the headstock.

I really hate standing in the line of fire of all of those chips flying off the gouge while doing a pull cut!! Roll Eyes

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2018 at 10:18pm

Gouges need not be symetrical.  I keep a 5/8 BG with a wing on the left and a square wing on the right.  Very handy for some cuts.  Use it like a square nose scraper but cuts like a long wing BG.  The edge is simply turned 90 deg. for easier presentation to the bowl?vase.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2018 at 6:13am

Tks for the clarification, Don. I do much the same. I mount the bowl somehow with the bottom toward the tailstock. I generally use a push cut from the tailstock to the headstock to rough the bowl out and create a tenon. Even then, with some woods and grains, I may pull from the headstock using the right wing. When I reverse the bowl, gripping the tenon in my chuck, I use the right wing to do the final shaping, pulling from head to tail using the right wing.

No one way or right/wrong way, I figure.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2018 at 9:24am

Not sure why you would use a pull cut if  is possible to make a push cut.  For me, a push cut always results in a better surface that requires less sanding.  Thus the rt. wing gets a lot of use on the outside of a bowl albeit not very far back on the wing. The rt. wing is also used for a shear scrape.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - May 17th, 2018 at 11:12am

Al Wasser wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 9:24am:
Thus the rt. wing gets a lot of use on the outside of a bowl albeit not very far back on the wing. The rt. wing is also used for a shear scrape.

I use the right wing on the outside like most do to shape, using only a portion of the wing.
Then I typically make a shear cut, dropping the handle and using the majority of the wing. (I suppose this would be considered a pull cut, I really dislike those definitions)
Personally, I simply try to make all my cuts downhill, however that occurs may require a push, pull or shear cut. It all depends on the orientation of the piece and available access to the area to be cut. I never consciously think push or pull.

Grant Wilkinson wrote on May 17th, 2018 at 6:13am:
No one way or right/wrong way, I figure.

I agree there's no right way but I'm telling you, I've tried the wrong way a time or two.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2018 at 10:32pm

Push or pull also depends on whether you are roughing out or final cutting.  Me, i prefere a pushcut with a razor sharp 3/8 DBG for a finish cut and anything goes while roughing out. Cheesy

IP Logged

robert baccus

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2018 at 10:32pm

Push or pull also depends on whether you are roughing out or final cutting.  Me, i prefere a pushcut with a razor sharp 3/8 DBG for a finish cut and anything goes while roughing out. Cheesy

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2018 at 9:34pm

I'm with Lyle on the definition of push and pull.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:50am

Jeff Vanden Boogart wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
I'm with Lyle on the definition of push and pull.

While I agree, my issue is that not everyone uses his definition, which can be confusing.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Ed: Only a "time or two"?  You're much better than me. Wink

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON