chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Wood Rings
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2018 at 12:26pm

Did you cut the core into the end grain or side grain?  All my rings are side/face grain.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #16 - May 26th, 2018 at 3:31pm

chris lawrence wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 12:26pm:
Did you cut the core into the end grain or side grain?  All my rings are side/face grain. 

It was a piece of scrap I cut off of a bowl before I put it on the lathe, so I'm going to say side grain.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #17 - May 26th, 2018 at 7:22pm

Is there a forstner bit set for rings? Everything I find is in 1/8" increments, and the ring sizes are in 32nds, and 64ths

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:11pm

Don't think so.  I have a narrow flat scraper that i sharpened the left side to square up the inside of the ring blank.  You can get a cheap piece of hss bar stock off ebay to do the same thing.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #19 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:34pm

chris lawrence wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 9:11pm:
Don't think so.  I have a narrow flat scraper that i sharpened the left side to square up the inside of the ring blank.  You can get a cheap piece of hss bar stock off ebay to do the same thing.

I was hoping to drill the size out, then turn the shape and sand it down to fine fit.

How do you get the ring on the lathe in order to hollow it out? I use a piece of wood I planed down to a taper profile and slide the ring on, then just use a dremel to finish it, but I want something a little more precise

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #20 - May 26th, 2018 at 9:57pm

clamp a piece of wood in my jaws flatten the end and hot glue the blank to it.  You can drill it out just use a bit the closest size to the ring that is smaller then the core.  Then fine tune the hole.  I get the core installed then round off the corners.  Finally i adjust the blank to the same thickness as the core before i pop it off the scrap wood with a chisel.  Then it goes on the pen mandrel with the right size ring bushings to finish.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #21 - May 26th, 2018 at 10:00pm

In case you haven't seen it here is there video Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #22 - May 29th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Thanks for all that.

I have a question, should I use micro mesh to sand the rings? What are some ideal grits?

Also, I need to get a sandpaper pack use for bowls and lidded boxes, any recommend something for that too?

I've looked at the Sorby sand master, anyone willing to put some opinions on that as well? I've been having problems with sanding marks on my bowls, I go from 100, 220, 320, then 0000 Steel Wool
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2018 at 1:14pm by Derik Mittag »  

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #23 - May 29th, 2018 at 2:14pm

Your missing a grit go 100 150 220 320.  If you want super shiny on the rings get a micromesh set it will last a long time for rings

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #24 - May 29th, 2018 at 7:19pm

Derik

A "rule of thumb" I've seen more than once is the next sanding grit should be no more than 150% of the present one.  So if you use 80, the next grit should be 100 or 120; if you use 100, the next grit should be 120 or 150; and so on.

Some fibers of steel wool will be caught in the wood, so steel wool is discouraged if one will use a water borne finish; in that case one can use nylon sanding pads.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #25 - May 29th, 2018 at 7:56pm

I made a pair of wedding rings earlier this year out of purple heart and put them on the CSUSA metal cores.  The man's ring was a 5mm ring and the woman's was a 3mm ring.  The woman's ring broke within a week.  I used epoxy to glue the blank to the core.  I used the CSUSA rubber bushings and a pen mandrel to turn them.  I finished them with CA to strengthen the wood. 

The woman's ring was just too thin to stand up to any wear and tear.  I now have the Bangle Guy's 2 piece metal cores.  The CSUSA cores are just rings themselves, the Bangle Guy cores are like their bracelet cores.  They fit under and on both sides of the wood to keep from catching it on anything.  I haven't had a chance to remake them yet.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #26 - May 29th, 2018 at 9:19pm

Fantastic, is 320 a high enough grit for mesquite bowls? Or should I go up to 600?

I'm wearing a mesquite ring with no core for about 5 days now, haven't had any problems. I've been working, sweating dealing with dirt, oil, and grease on it. I just want to know how long it will last.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #27 - May 30th, 2018 at 10:42am

Derik Mittag wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
Is there a forstner bit set for rings? Everything I find is in 1/8" increments, and the ring sizes are in 32nds, and 64ths

If you want to go this route, there are plenty of places that sell individual forstener bits.
They are easy to find in 1/16" increments and if necessary (for between sizes, like 32nds) you can also easily find the closest metric equivalent.
What size are you looking for?

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #28 - May 30th, 2018 at 11:53am

Ed Weber wrote on May 30th, 2018 at 10:42am:
Derik Mittag wrote on May 26th, 2018 at 7:22pm:

If you want to go this route, there are plenty of places that sell individual forstener bits.
They are easy to find in 1/16" increments and if necessary (for between sizes, like 32nds) you can also easily find the closest metric equivalent.
What size are you looking for?

Not a particular size, I need sizes. Ring sizes from about a 5-12

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #29 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:31pm

While these aren't the highest quality, a set like this is good to have to determine which bits you use most frequently. Once you figure out which ones get the most use, then you can get higher quality versions of your popular sizes.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2018 at 10:45am by Ron Sardo » 
Reason: fixed link 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print