WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Drum Sanders
Jun 4th, 2018 at 11:40am

I am in the market for a drum sander and have been looking at the Jet 18 one, but other than size I am not really sure what I am looking for. Anyone have any tips on what to look for in a drum sander so I can get the best bang for my buck?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Drum Sanders
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 11:59am

oscillating. this exposes more of the drums surface by going up and down in addition to around.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind. - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Dave, I think you may be talking about an Oscillating spindle sander as opposed to a spindle sander, in which case you would be correct.
I believe Allan is talking about a drum sander.
I have a Jet 16-32, it works well and I haven't had any issues in the several years I've used it.
A couple of things to look for,
Is it "really xx inches?
My 16" sander really is only good for about 14.5", the area where the abrasive roll is folded into the holders in the drum can leave unwanted scratches, it is never as smooth asa the rest.
Adjustment Once these machines are set, they hold adjustment very well, getting them there used to be a pain in the  ...
Most of the models today have a fine tuning adjustment, whic makes setting up the machine easier and less time consuming.
Access, Most of these machines are a bit tight in the area where you attach the end of the abrasive roll to the drum. Some use a special tool to release the clamp since it may be difficult to use you fingers. I would look at how easy it is to change abrasive.
Adjustable belt feed (smart sand) Many have an adjustment to change the feed rate of the stock but the smart sand feature automatically adjusts the feed rate for the best performance without overloading the machine.
Thant's all I can think of off the top of my head.
I may add something else later  Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Godber

WR Rocks!

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
Canada

record coronet no.3
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 4:15pm

I built this for my lathe,not pretty but effective and cheap. I've worked gnarly grained walnut down to 1mm with it. Lots of info on the web.

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 7:49pm

Thanks Ed, trying to narrow it down between the jet and the superMax from woodcraft

IP Logged

Clark Pittman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Portland, Tennessee, USA
Portland
Tennessee
USA

Both Nova Comet 2 and Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 6:45am

After looking at a lot of You Tube videos, reading a lot of reviews, and considering costs vs capability I recently purchased a Super Max 19-38 Drum Sander.

It was a difficult choice between the 19-38 and the newer designed 16-32 with the quick height adjustment feature because several had said that it was irritating to have to crank the handle through so many revolutions to go from one depth to another. That said, I decided the 4" depth vs the 3" was worth the trade off on the revs.

Several people noted that they felt the heavy duty casters from Super Max were over priced. I tried using casters that were about half the cost thinking they would be adequate; not IMHO, I ended up putting on the Super Max casters and am much happier with them.

Dust collection is very good on the SM 19-38 but would probably be similar on other sanders.

I've only minimally used the sander so far but my initial thoughts are that it was a good decision. (Sure works well when making segmented bowl rings.)

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 6:54pm

I also felt the Supermax casters were too expensive. I used the caster holes in the stand of my Supermax 16-32 to bolt a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the stand. Then used the flat surface of the plywood to attach four plate mount total locking swivel casters from Home Depot for ~$9.00 each.

I usually lock only two of the casters when using the sander and it does not move around. The plywood on the bottom also gives me an extra shelf to store sanding rolls and etc.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 7:26pm

SupraMax was bought by Laguna not all that long ago, I don't know what changes were made after the purchase.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print