Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Multiple finishes? (Read 189 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Multiple finishes?
Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:19pm

Is there any advantage to applying four or five coats of wipe on poly, sanding lightly between coats, and then using a friction type product over the wop for the final finish and gloss?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Multiple finishes?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 12:44pm

If you want more gloss why not use a harder wipe on varnish and not keep multiple finishing products on hand.  I thin Pratt & Lambert 30 gloss alkyd varnish 50-50 with a good quality mineral spirits and use as a wiping varnish.  A search here on "Pratt" likely will turn up a number of my past posts on this.  Store both the unused varnish and unused mix in Stop Loss bags.

When I researched varnish a number of years ago in books and on the Internet a number of reputable experts suggested alkyd was the hardest and clearest of the 3 types of varnish, and P & L 38 was a highly regarded alkyd varnish.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:11pm

If you have applied 4 to 5 coats of WOP, you likely have a good shine so why mess with it. Buff it and call it good.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:01pm

I thought maybe the Shelac in a friction finish would be a harder surface?? This would be on smaller items say like a peppermill that's handled a lot? Thanks for the info, Geo.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:05pm

George Stratton wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 3:01pm:
I thought maybe the Shelac in a friction finish would be a harder surface??

I suspect that a thoroughly-cured WOP finish will be about as tough a you can get.  After all, WOP is basically what is used to finish hardwood floors.  And if you buff it, you can get a glass-like shine.

Louie

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 10:51am

I haven't tried any buffing of a finished turning yet and I like the finish from the wop. Do you use a compound with the buffing wheel or just dry??

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 12:57pm

You would need to use compound a dry wheel will do nothing but generate heat.  Lately i have been using home brew danish oil.  1 part blo, 1 part oil based polly and 2 parts mineral spirits.  I have a bucket filled with it that has a gamma lid on it.  I put the piece in it sink it down with a wire basket and let it soak for a day.  Pull it out the next day and let it cure for a couple days.  Then buff it through the beal steps.  I do the same thing with pieces intended for food use but use a bucket of tung oil and mineral spirits in equal parts.  When i am not using the buckets for a while i put some co2 in before i seal the bucket up.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print