Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Filling large voids in a bowl blank (Read 265 times)

Dave Wheeler
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shelbyville, Indiana, USA
Shelbyville
Indiana
USA

Filling large voids in a bowl blank
Jun 10th, 2018 at 9:48am

I have rough turned a maple burl.  It has lots of voids which I usually try to incorporate into the finished bowl but I feel these will make the bowl fragile as I continue to turn it.  I am looking for advice on how to fill the voids with epoxy resin after the bowl is already rough turned.  The blank is 12" diameter and 5.5" tall.  I have attached some pictures.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

Re: Filling large voids in a bowl blank
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 10:30am

Why not turn the outside then wrap it in some narrow stretch wrap used wrapping boxes on a pallet then turn the inside.  A few layers should keep it together while you finish the inside.  I haven't had the opportunity to try this technique but i have read about people using it before.  You could use the wrap to contain the epoxy on the outside if you still want to go the epoxy route.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 10:41am

The bowl is drenched with character because of the voids.  If it dries without cracks, I would also suggest finish turning the outside, wrap well with stretch wrap, wrap that with duct tape if concerned, and then turn the inside.  Of course, carefully inspecting for cracking and such during turning would be essential.

Not sure how feasible filling voids with WestSystems or similar epoxy would be.  Epoxy is exothermic, meaning it generates heat as it cures.  A well known demonstration of this is pouring some just mixed epoxy in a styrofoam cup and watching the generated heat melt the styrofoam.  I suspect each void would have to be individually filled over several pours to avoid excessive heat.  And cured epoxy is so hard that sanding is very slow and uses lots of sandpaper.

IP Logged

Richard Shelby
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 4:47pm

That bowl is the perfect candidate for filling the voids with turquoise, or chrysocolla/epoxy.  Any contrasting colored fil will pop.

IP Logged

Dave Wheeler
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shelbyville, Indiana, USA
Shelbyville
Indiana
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 5:01pm

In the past, I have filled voids like this with West system epoxy adding some powdered black coloring for contrast.  It is difficult to contain the epoxy because of the curved nature of the bowl.  I usually try to wrap it with some rubber material to contain the epoxy but as stated by earlier comments, it does get hot and sometimes melts. 
   What kind of colorants can be used with either West System or Alumalite epoxy?

IP Logged

Richard Shelby
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

NOVA 1624
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 5:33am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I use crushed minerals from these guys. Lots of options and great to deal with. For odd-shaped voids, use masking tape to make a dam. Sometimes a curve can be maintained with plastic from a discarded container held in place with masking tape. I use "bar top" epoxy with a long cure time, usually overnite.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2018 at 5:34am by Richard Shelby »  

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2018 at 7:21pm

For tinting epoxy for small defects, I use dry pigments, what I think are sometimes called fresco powders, but I don't know what that term means.  I've had mine for decades, don't know where I obtained them.  The most commonly used colors for walnut and cherry are black, the umbers, and a bit of red.  Around knots and such I try to mix the colors separately on scrap paper, then swirl together in the defect to avoid a montone look.

If it can be done safely I'm still voting for leaving the voids "au naturele."

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Grizzly 462
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 11:49am

If the voids have bark in them, then adding an epoxy/colorant may not be permanent as the bark could let go or become loose.

For filling voids, I have used epoxy (5 minute) with metal flake. Get smallest flake possible from Hobby store. Bar Top finish works OK too.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print