Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bowl gouge (Read 338 times)

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Bowl gouge
Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:14am

Anyone know where I can find a bowl gouge without the handle. I been using Benjamin's Best 3/8" gouge and it's almost gone. I'll be looking to upgrade to a 1/2 or 5/8, but I want to turn my own handles.

Also, I read that some folks use epoxy to secure the gouge in the handle. How does one get it back out to reuse the handle later on?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Bowl gouge
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:50am

Doug Thompson lathe tools and D Way tools come without handles, and are probably the best tools and metals out there for bowl gouges. You buy from the guys that make the tools too... There are others, but I prefer these... I have never used epoxy to seat my tool blanks, and never had a problem with them coming loose either...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:54am

Most of the higher quality brands can be purchased without handles, Thompson, Carter & Sons, Robert Sorby and others.
I have even purchased handled tools, removed the factory handle and replaced with my own. If a handle doesn't "fit" you, it's of no use.
As far as removing handles epoxied in, typically a heat gun applied to the area will soften the connection to the point where it ca be removed.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:49am

robo_hippy wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:50am:
Doug Thompson lathe tools and D Way tools come without handles, and are probably the best tools and metals out there for bowl gouges. You buy from the guys that make the tools too... There are others, but I prefer these... I have never used epoxy to seat my tool blanks, and never had a problem with them coming loose either...

robo hippy

Terrific, thanks.  Your video on platform sharpening was great, didn't really take that long to get the motions of swinging and rolling

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:50am

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:54am:
Most of the higher quality brands can be purchased without handles, Thompson, Carter & Sons, Robert Sorby and others.
I have even purchased handled tools, removed the factory handle and replaced with my own. If a handle doesn't "fit" you, it's of no use.
As far as removing handles epoxied in, typically a heat gun applied to the area will soften the connection to the point where it ca be removed.

Awesome, I did get a heat gun a few months ago. I'd like to get a little better gouge, so I'll take a look at those brands

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 6:17am

Thompson gouges are top notch.  I have several. Doug Thompson is also a great person.  I have a Crown PM bowl gouge that is getting too short.  I like that gouge a lot but when it gets "retired", it'll get replaced with a Thompson.  In fact, I already have the new gouge.  I also have heard good things about Carter & Sons and D-way.

I do have a Ben's Best gouge that I ground as a bottom feeder.  I didn't want to experiment with an expensive gouge. I had to replace the handle because it was totally useless.  Cheap gouges do have their place but nothing beats a nice one.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 8:16am

Many turners who have made videos suggest they obtain the best finishing cut with a 1/2" bar diameter gouge.  But it is more prone to vibration when extended beyond the tool rest, and those same videos seem to show using a 5/8" bar gouge for most of the work.

As you have no doubt seen mentioned here more than once, there are three common cross-section profiles used in bowl gouges - U, V, and parabolic - and likely each manufacturer's shapes vary slightly within each profile.  More than a few turners also feel one profile is most effective as a "bottom feeder" than others.

A wood turning group is a marvelous resource for demonstrations, mentoring, and comparing thoughts and experience on tools and equipment.  If you don't have access to such a group, you might consider getting less expensive examples of each profile to gain some feedback before purchasing a more expensive one.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:00am

One other piece of advice for anyone that purchases unhandled tools.
Check the tool first.
Use a straight edge, lay it on your tablesaw or jointer or however you can check to see if it's true.
When the tools are made and hardened then left to cool, they can develop a slight warp. I have had tools from more than one of the "better" companies mentioned here arrive with a warp.
It's something that happens but you want to get the tool replaced before you affix it to the handle.
With a gouge, when you rotate the handle, you either open or close the flute in order to control the cut. Having the tip move out of alignment with the center line of the handle can be frustrating and/or dangerous. You can loose the bevel or get catches depending where along the shaft the warp is.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 6:04am

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:00am:
Use a straight edge, lay it on your tablesaw or jointer or however you can check to see if it's true.When the tools are made and hardened then left to cool, they can develop a slight warp. I have had tools from more than one of the "better" companies mentioned here arrive with a warp. It's something that happens but you want to get the tool replaced before you affix it to the handle. With a gouge, when you rotate the handle, you either open or close the flute in order to control the cut. Having the tip move out of alignment with the center line of the handle can be frustrating and/or dangerous. You can loose the bevel or get catches depending where along the shaft the warp is.

I came up with a very easy solution to that problem...it was the imperfection in the manufacture of my own handles.  Inaccuracies of the tool is frequently counter-acted by the mistakes in the manufacture of my handles. *tongue firmly in cheek*

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 1:07pm

I did that myself once John....epoxied it in a touch crooked at the end of a long session and it really doesnt affect performance as you really only look at the tip....

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:51pm

Steve Bistritz wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 1:07pm:
I did that myself once John....epoxied it in a touch crooked at the end of a long session and it really doesnt affect performance as you really only look at the tip....

I believe that John was being facetious.

The handle, the shaft and the tip should be inline with one another

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #11 - Yesterday at 8:44am

Thank yall very much

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Yesterday at 11:29am

I thought I would add a photo to clarify what I refereed to in my previous post.
This is a photo of a brand new, never used 1/2 gouge shaft.
The tool was placed on a known flat surface (jointer bed) and as you can see, there is a significant bend in the shaft.
You can not compensate for this type of problem by attaching the handle at an angle, the problem will still exist.
As I said, I have personally seen this many times, from more than one brand, the photo is just one example.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #13 - Yesterday at 11:41am

Ed Weber wrote Yesterday at 11:29am:
I thought I would add a photo to clarify what I refereed to in my previous post.
This is a photo of a brand new, never used 1/2 gouge shaft.
The tool was placed on a known flat surface (jointer bed) and as you can see, there is a significant bend in the shaft.
You can not compensate for this type of problem by attaching the handle at an angle, the problem will still exist.
As I said, I have personally seen this many times, from more than one brand, the photo is just one example.

What exactly do you do in that case, return the tool?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Yesterday at 2:47pm

Yes, that's why I say you should inspect it before you attach a handle.
I made that mistake only once.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print