Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finish for bowls Odies Oil (Read 171 times)

denny davis
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Normal, Illinois, USA
Normal
Illinois
USA

finish for bowls Odies Oil
Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:31am

i haven't seen anything on here regarding Odies Oil.  Has anyone used it and able to give any thoughts on it.  I have used General Finishes Salad bowls. I must be doing something wrong with wiping it off, I get streaks.  Any help with the Odies will be appreciated.. Thanks   good day.    Denny
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:14am by denny davis »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: finish for bowls
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 9:53am

Although with a different finish, self mixed wiping varnish, I have also occasionally encountered streaking.  I will use a clean paper towel until it looks "oily" and streaking seems to occur with a well used paper towel.  Immediately I'll switch to a clean towel and wipe the surface again.  If the streak remains I'll immediately wipe the entire surface with the applicator cloth pad, re-wetting it, and then scrub dry again.  Cant recall streaking that persisted beyond that.  Don't know your procedure - after the first coat, when I'll keep going over the surface with the application cloth four or five times one immediately after another, as soon as a coat is wiped on I immediately wipe dry.  The self mixed wipe on varnish I use tends to begin drying almost immediately if applied in a thin coat, and streaking can occur if I don't immediately wipe dry.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: finish for bowls
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 10:38am

I would have to know more about your application process when using GF salad bowl finish, I use it often with no streaking.
IMO
Odie;s Oil (and his entire line of products) seem to fall into the love 'em or hate 'em camp.
There are some very dubious claims made about the product and very little information about what it's made of and they are a bit on the pricey side.

Call me skeptical but I do not believe in a "miracle" finish.
In my experience finishes are a balancing act in order to achieve what you want.
You want durability, you may have to apply several coats, this takes time.
You want quick, you may suffer durability.
You want UV protection, you may have yellowing of tint issues.
One coat application that does it all?... typically requires maintenance or a reapplication from time to time.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: finish for bowls Odies Oil
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:53pm

Step 2: How To Apply General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish

General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish Application Steps Over Raw or Stained Wood

Stir topcoat to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before use. Urethane topcoats are thin and the flatting agents used to create flatter sheens settle quickly to the bottom. Either stir and decant what you need to use immediately or stir frequently throughout the application process.
    Use only with adequate ventilation. Open windows and doors or use other means to maintain fresh air flow during application and drying.
    If desired, thin topcoat with 10-15% mineral spirits.
    Apply 3 coats. More coats will not improve durability.
        Brush application: Apply a liberal amount of product using a clean cloth, bristle brush, foam brush, staining pad or pad applicator. The larger the surface the larger the applicator needed. Wipe along the wood grain using smooth, even strokes. Remove excess with light pressure.
        Spray application: Salad Bowl Finish can be sprayed successfully, but we prefer hand-application methods because it is easy to spray too much in one area. Spray thin coats and immediately wipe or brush out runs if they occur. HVLP: 1.0mm-1.2mm spray tip, medium air cap. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Read here for more information on spraying techniques.
    Lathe application: When applying to projects on the lathe, wipe on a thin even coat, then use 400-grit wet or dry sandpaper to wet-sand first coat into the wood. Use a clean cloth to buff off the excess.
    Dry 24+ hours between coats in ideal conditions, 70*F/20*C, 50-70% humidity. Inadequate dry time is one of the top reasons for finish failures. You can tell if an oil-based finish is dry if it is no longer tacky, cool to the touch, and if you can press a cotton ball over the surface and nothing sticks. If in doubt, wait longer. Increase dry time if:
        Humidity is over 80%
        3+ coats are applied
        Thick coats are applied
        Layering General Finishes water- and oil-based products:
            Water over oil: Let oil-based products dry 72+hrs before applying water-based products
            Oil over water: Let water-based products dry 24+hrs before applying oil-based products
        To accelerate dry time in humid conditions work in a space with good ventilation and air movement. If you decide to re-coat before the recommended time, test dryness.
    Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper to improve smoothness and adhesion.
    Remove dust with a vacuum, cloth or clean water dampened rag before re-coating.

Cure time
Oil-based finishes cure and harden completely after 30 days. Avoid placing heavy objects on top of surfaces that have not cured completely. Treat gently, and do not clean with commercial products during the cure period.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2018 at 1:54pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print