WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Marquette, Michigan, USA
Marquette
Michigan
USA

Sanding discs
Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:10pm

Hello fellow turners. I’m looking for a source for affordable 5 inch 8 hole hook and loop sanding discs up to 320 grit.  Thanks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Sanding discs
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:40pm

I typically buy Norton 3x, I get the 50 count box which lowers the price quite a lot.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 8:51am

I've been pretty happy with Klingspor

IP Logged

dennis carter
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Marquette, Michigan, USA
Marquette
Michigan
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:56am

Thanks for the input fellas

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 4:22pm

With the 8 hole pattern, it depends. I am having Vince Welch of VinceswoodNwonders make me a bunch of 5 inch discs to fit my Festool random orbit sander, 9 holes counting the middle. Vince's blue discs cut better than any other abrasive I have found. He requested minimum of 100 discs of each grit I wanted (120 through 320) as I have a bunch of furniture to make. No idea if it will be some thing he will carry in the future or not. Not all 8 hole discs are the same pattern...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 6:22pm

The discs I mentioned are available as Norton 3X 5 & 8 Hole Universal Vacuum
They fit either standard 5 or 8 hole sanders.
Festool discs have a proprietary pattern
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 6:24pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

dennis carter
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Marquette, Michigan, USA
Marquette
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 7:14am

Thanks again, good information for me

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:37am

Ken Rizza from Wood Turners Wonders has some fantastic stuff at great process.  It is not abranet but called wonderweave and works so much better and longer and cuts faster.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
onet-hookloop-5-sanding-discs-pkg-of-10

It looks like it is to long for the page but if you put it into the top it will come up
Also the very top one does work and will take you to the 5" ones if you scroll down.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2018 at 8:11pm by Arlin Eastman »  

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:14pm

Direct link does not work
You must go to the page, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Select Sanding supplies,
Choose Wonder Weave,
Then scroll down to the 5" discs
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:19pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Ryan Sohn
WR Noob

Le Mars, Iowa, USA
Le Mars
Iowa
USA

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 1:53am

I like the Mirka brand I have used a bunch of different pads and they seem to last better. The Abernet  pads are the bomb....... I buy them in 50ct boxes as well and they have great lifespan.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2018 at 1:54am by Ryan Sohn »  

Ryan

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:51am

I did get the discs from Vince for my Festool sander. I gave some to the guys who are putting in the floors in my house and shop (hickory). I will post when they give me feedback. I love that blue stuff. I am also trying to see if the blue will work on my drum sander. It isn't available in cloth backed. Main problem with the drum sander, other than they want to run a 1 1/2 hp motor on 120 volt, is that the drum speed is too fast. May have to get a variable speed motor and put it on just to see....

Engineer's syndrome, "If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway."

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 10:21am

robo_hippy wrote on Jul 20th, 2018 at 9:51am:
I love that blue stuff. I am also trying to see if the blue will work on my drum sander. It isn't available in cloth backed. Main problem with the drum sander, other than they want to run a 1 1/2 hp motor on 120 volt, is that the drum speed is too fast. May have to get a variable speed motor and put it on just to see....

I'm not sure about that  Undecided
I would say drum generates too much heat.
If the drum rotates too slowly it can also generate excessive heat in a given spot.

I would suggest faster feed rate, less stock removal per pass, equals less heat generated.
Most drum sanders these days have a single plug for drum and feed belt. You would have to splice in the VS unit onto the drum side only to achieve the effect you're after.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:23am

I do figure heat comes from too high of speed with the abrasives, too much pressure/taking too big of a bite, and the drive belt moving too fast.  We could probably throw in how sharp and/or worn are your abrasives. With my experimenting with drill speed, I am amazed at how much difference there is in cutting with variable speeds. Vince said that you should go slower with finer grits than with coarser grits. Probably impossible to figure feet/minute speeds for each grit and wood... Experimenting is fun...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:12am

My only point was that a bit, a blade or a sanding device can burn the wood by rotating either too fast or too slow depending on the other factors involved.
Different woods have different reactions to heat  (some burn more easily than others)
In broad general terms, cutting wood efficiently by any method comes down to three very basic things.

The three variables
1. bit/blade (sanding disc/belt/drum) speed
2. feed rate
3. depth of cut

On my drum sander, drum speed is constant and I change the feed fate and/or the depth of cut to regulate the amount of material to remove, thus keeping things cool. This changes for different tasks.
On my planer I have two feed rates to choose from and again control the depth of cut. On some species, a light pass at a higher feed rate keeps things cool by not lingering in on place for too long.

This is no different for any of my tools, drill press, tablesaw, you name it. You need to strike a balance between the three variables to work efficiently.
Whether it's excess pressure, lack of blade/bit speed too high of a feed rate, the heat generated by cutting can usually be controlled be adjusting one or more of the variables Just adjust one at a time so you know which adjustment helped.

Wood is a natural product and no two pieces act exactly the same. When determining the three factors I mentioned above, you need to be the judge.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 11:55am

How do most turners sand the flat part of a 2" recess?  I have some of Vinces 2 1/4" sanding discs  but there a little to big to sand  a 2"  recess.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print