WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Mesquite Wood
Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:46pm

Hopefully not kiln dried would not be transported any distance.  Saw a few days ago a story about wood quarantine in parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania due to another new insect.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:40pm

Don Stephan wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
Hopefully not kiln dried would not be transported any distance.  Saw a few days ago a story about wood quarantine in parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania due to another new insect.

All the wood I have is sitting in a shed, so it would or would not need to be kiln dried? Most of it is still pretty wet

IP Logged

Edgar Sims

WR Rocks!

peoria, Arizona, USA
peoria
Arizona
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2018 at 8:58pm

Thanks Derik,
Ralph, that would have been quite a piece of Desert Ironwood. Surprised your saw had any teeth left. Used to be a lot of it around Quartzite and they used it for barbeques.  I’ve turned a bit, small stuff like toothpick holders, ring boxes and such. It’s hard! And some brittle. Never had to use a finish, just sanded to high grit and buffed and waxed. Beautiful

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #18 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 2:32pm

Something less than what woodcraft asks for it.  The store I go to in SA makes me thin I have my retirement sitting stacked up on the ground.
For the guys around here I just go by size of the slab or round that I've cut.  Bigger piece may go for ~$30.  Rounds for 12 inch bowls $15 ish.  If shipping USPS, they have to fit in their bixes.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Derik Mittag

WR Rocks!

Craftsman 12"x42"
Reply #19 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 8:17pm

I may get into the business of harvesting mesquite wood, I may end up selling blanks.

Thanks David for the information

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:37pm

I made a trip to Waco TX yesterday to look at some Mesquite.  The saw mill guy wanted $12 a board ft. for live edge 4/4 or 6/4. kiln dried.  The boards were cracked and unfinished.

The mill (a pecker wood, chain saw) dries the lumber at 120o F (with a dehumidifier) and when dry raised the temp. to 150o to kill the wiggles.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print