Chuck choice (Read 703 times)

Ken Lundrigan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Have 2    king Canada mega lathe  10x16
And craftex
Chuck choice
Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:16am

hello everyone. new too woodturning. bought a king canada  mega lathe( not sure where mega comes into play lol) but price was right brand new still had grease on it for 150 canadian. finally got all set up and wife decided she like too turn. ok well bought another lathe again great deal still in grease and package wrap for 400 canadian and its a craftex. im in the market for a better chuck and of course money is not unlimited like most i have a budget. ive read and seen reviews of 2 chucks. Nova 3G and PSI CSC2000C Barracuda. because i have a budget both these items are listed on amazon. my question is can i get some feed back on these 2 chucks and also for a beginner if you have any other better suggestions i welcome the replys. really like too get something that is self centering. thanks everyone

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Re: Chuck choice
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:30am

I have a Nova and a PSI chuck.  Personally I prefer the nova. It has dovetail jaws and holds blanks much better than the PSI chuck.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:16pm

I also have the G3 Nova Ken and fairly new to wood turning and love the chuck. Holds everything I have turned so far including 10 inch bowls and lots of peppermills. Made a set of plywood Cole jaws for it and they work well too.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:42pm

Out of the two you mentioned, I would opt for the Nova G3.
You have a wide range of jaws available, it is a good bang for the buck.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Welcome to the forum, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and level of support and helpful information found here.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live - another great source of information and assistance can be a local wood turning group.  Often members are quite willing to share experience with different lathes, tools, and techniques.  Some groups also offer classes and demonstrations.  I don't know the specifics of it, but I understand there is a listing somewhere on the web site of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW), identifying all local turning groups affiliated with the AAW.

IP Logged

Ken Lundrigan
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Have 2    king Canada mega lathe  10x16
And craftex
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:53pm

oh great thanks everyone looks like the nova will be the choice. also i live in alberta canada. right now just practicing on the wood i can get in this area. Usually cut down dead standing  spruce, popular, birch and jack pine.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2018 at 5:48am

Be very attentive to bowl blanks from dead trees.  As wood dries it develops shrinkage cracks, including undrr the bark.  During periods of higher humidity the wood can absorb moisture and expand, making the cracks less noticeable.  Check the wood constantly for cracks.  After such an experience with a standing dead tree I won't take the risk of wood flying apart on the lathe.  And at minimum wear an impact rated full face shield and stay out of the "line of fire" a chunk of wood would travel.  Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy has a YouTube video on this.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:36pm

Ken Lundrigan wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:53pm:
Usually cut down dead standing  spruce, popular, birch and jack pine.

Be aware that some woods are simply too soft to turn effectively.  Practice and learn but don't be surprised if some species simply don't give you the end product your looking for or expecting.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

James Saxinger

WR Rocks!

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
Canada

NOVA 2024
GI 25-200
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2018 at 12:46pm

Hey Ken, I sent you a PM, with some info for a G3 chuck

Cheers
James

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 8:59pm

Ken— I started out wirh the PSI chucks, still use then.  They hold very well and there’s a variety of addons that increase versatility.  In fact I have 3 of their largest model— since I turn mostly bigger stuff..  My other chucks are VicMarcs,  a bit more expensive!

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:19pm

I agree that the G3 is probably more what you want than the PSI chuck.  The best thing about the G3 is that if you decide you want a larger chuck the Supernova II will hold all the jaws you have for the G3.  If you watch Woodcraft's sales, they will often put Supernova II chucks on sale with 4 different sets of jaws.

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print