Send Topic Print
dust collectors (Read 1,000 times)

Alex Leibowitz
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

old
dust collectors
Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:48am

I am in need of a dust collector for my lathe.  I looked at the Harbor Freight one which cleans to 5 micron...others are less (down to .2 microns..but...$1600).  Any suggestions.  My shop is in 1/2 of a garage.  Thanks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: dust collectors
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:27pm

There are perhaps two types of dust collectors.  One uses a hose/pipe to collect from a point source, such as a drum sander, table saw, lathe, et cetera.  The other type often hangs from the ceiling and collects dust suspended in the air.

Point collectors, which can via moveable hose and/or rigid piping can be used at different stations, vary from a "shop vac" to a 3 to 5 HP cyclone collector.  Both the amount of air moved and the diameter of the hose factor into how well the point collectors work.

Shop vacs with their small capacity collectors fill quickly with coarser sawdust and small chips, and their filters can become heavily coated quickly.  When collecting fine chips from say a planer, some use a small cyclone collector between the source and the shop vac to separately collect some of the debris.

Fine dust is considered a greater hazard.  It's been a while since I read the literature, but I think .5 micron is a highly recommended filter to capture hazardous woodworking dust.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:48pm

Alex, my first dust collector was the HF 5 micro that you are talking about.  I ended up buying some filter material that went down to .5 microns and my wife sewed it up so that it fit the HF dust collector (same size and shape as original bag).  That worked great for many years until I needed something bigger.
Good luck, HTH.
Steve

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:53am

Alex, I only have a fairly good shop vac on my lathe in the garage shop which as the guys say needs to be emptied often but does a good job in collecting what comes off the lathe as long as the nozzle is in the right place. But I added a homemade sealed up filter box to the exhaust from the vacuum which uses a 14 x 14 standard FPR 10 rated house filter which slides into place and really helps with all the extra fine dust which used to collect around the lathe. Certainly not perfect but better than it was before and cheap to throw away and replace. Stands on the floor and press fits into the shop vac.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 12:01pm

Once the HF collecter gets dirty  the   5 micron holes in the bag  get smaller.  As long as it's pulling the dust into it  don't clean it.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:44pm

Please do not confuse a "dust collector" with a"chip collector".

Small dust can do long-term damage to your respiratory system.  Chips are a nuisance, they can be swept up.  A dust collector's job is to protect you from health risks.  Make sure that is happening, then worry about the chips.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:51pm

Personal opinion is to have a dust/chip collector for heavy  debris (things you can see)
and personal protection (respirator) for the less than 10 micron airborne particles.
JMO

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:03pm

Using a filter bag that is filled with dust and thinking that it is filtering out the smaller particles is like saying that using a worn out piece of sand paper as a higher grit paper, just doesn't work.  A filter that is filled with dust reduces its ability to draw in the dust at the source.  Thus, you have more dust staying in the air.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:46am

Seems like the same would be true adding a filter to the shop vac exhaust.  Increased resistance to air flow might reduce the amount of air taken in, and increase load on the motor.

A half  face respirator, or full face for those with beards, with a .5 micron filter, is a great idea.  Regardless of the amount of dust in the air, the lungs are exposed to less harmful dust.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:37am

I wear a small Elipse resporator for the fine dust that works great. The exhaust filter on the vac just seems to help clean up the area around the lathe from the very fine dust and I don't see any problem with it slowing down the suction, maybe because its large for the vacuum size??
Geo.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 11:52am

Don Stephan wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:46am:
Seems like the same would be true adding a filter to the shop vac exhaust.  Increased resistance to air flow might reduce the amount of air taken in, and increase load on the motor.

Funny thing is, my house (indoor) vacuum has an exhaust filter. It was designed that way.

Shop vacs aren't dust collectors
Dust collectors aren't air cleaners
and air cleaners aren't respirators

Over 10 micron and it's most likely dust that you can see settle to the floor and doesn't pose as much of a health risk.
Under 10 micron and the particle size starts to become invisible and remain airborne for long periods of time. Along with it's size these are reasons why it's a health risk. Not being aware there is a hazard.

I'll add one last thing,
Those of you whose shop (dust creation area) is attached to the house should probably use a high MERV rating filter on you HVAC system. It's better for you and your HVAC system. Change it monthly

IP Logged

Dave Bunge
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Midland, Michigan, USA
Midland
Michigan
USA

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 5:53pm

What I've read suggests that particles from 0.5 to 5 microns are the most dangerous. 

I have the Harbor Freight dust collector but replaced the 5 micron bag with a 0.5 micron cartridge filter.  It has worked well for me. 

Wynn Environmental sells several 0.5 micron filters specifically designed for the Harbor Freight dust collector. Look here:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you do place an order from Wynn Environmental, I suggest ordering some of the clear plastic chip/dust collector bags that attach below the filter.  Wynn has them for a good price, as long as you are already paying the shipping charge for something else. 

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe. I now have a Powermatic 3520B as of 9/12/20.
Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:53am

The HF dust collector is a very good machine. You can buy aftermarket bags for it for not too much money. Look on the net for more information on the HF dust collector. A good place to start is here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 10:17am

The pleated paper filters are way more efficient than the cloth bags. One reason is that they offer, maybe triple the amount of surface area for the air to vent out of. The other reason is that they generally filter out much smaller particles. My first DC was a 1 hp model with the cloth bag. Every time I would fire it up, there was a sizable dust plume when the bag inflated. The DC is not some thing you should skimp on because your lungs are worth the investment...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:03am

robo_hippy wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 10:17am:
My first DC was a 1 hp model with the cloth bag. Every time I would fire it up, there was a sizable dust plume when the bag inflated.

Even a bigger plume if you forget to zip the bag  Roll Eyes
A friend told me that, yeah that's it  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print