Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Selling? (Read 1,266 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Selling?
Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:24pm

Anybody doing any selling this year. What price point?
My first show for the year next week end then two more after that and that will be it for the year for me. Getting to be a lot of work. Three a year is all I want to do anymore.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Wood is one of God's hidden /> /> canvases.

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Re: Selling?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018 at 9:52pm

Lee, we (my wife and I) have done several shows so far this year.  Our price points range from $20 (for pendants) all the way up to $500 for a large hollow form.  Most of our pieces range in price between $100 to $300.  We have had some very good shows this year and have 6 more to go.  Our next one is also next weekend up in the Detroit area. My brother lives up there so we are mixing business with pleasure.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 9:39pm

Steve, that's doing well. Seems like, for me, 150 is top dollar for the type of shows I'm doing. I haven't done any expensive shows. One hundred seventy five for two days is my market. I keep thinking higher end but look at the costs and especially traveling. The costs are too great. I can't sell bowls for much money so stopped making them.

I wonder what other guys are doing.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2018 at 9:41pm by Lee Watermann »  

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:11pm

Lee, the shows I do are about $110 to $175 per day.  I have researched most of the shows that I do to make sure that they are an upper level art festival.  (Don't do any craft fairs anymore because most people that attend those are looking to spend no more than $25 for a single item.) The festivals that I do are not the top of the line festivals, such as St. Louis Art Fair, Cherry Creek Art Fair, etc.
Good luck this weekend.  As they say, break a leg.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 2:33pm

Lee
There is nothing like visit g a show as a visitor, to the prices vendors are asking and the number of visitors carrying purchases.  Visiting also lets you see how many vendors are offering turned items.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 10:02pm

Don, yes I like to visit shows. I try to stay away from craft shows only. I never can find other turners in my area for some reason. I do like to see what and how many people buying.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2018 at 10:07pm

Steve, good luck this week end. It's suppose to be 92 both days around the Chicago area. You do a lot of shows. Just wondering what you would call a " good show" for you.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 8:19am

Years ago there was a magazine devoted to the craft and art show industries, and it included in some or all issues a directory of upcoming shows.  A friend who made high quality (and high priced) vehicle models in wood relied on that magazine directory to find shows where he was more likely to sell well.  Perhaps one of the forum members is familiar with that magazine and can identify it.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 11:06am

Lee--I consider a good show an average of $1,000 per day.  For my wife and me, it means that we need to have selling points between $20 up to $500.  Our pendant sell very well, next are NE bowls with turquoise ($70 to $150)  and the larger bowls and hollow forms.

Don--I think the name of the magazine is Sunshine Artists and they do have a list of almost all the festivals as well as some reviews.

IP Logged

Steve Doerr
WR Addict

Joplin, Missouri, USA
Joplin
Missouri
USA

Rikon 70-050VS
Jet 1642 EVS 2HP
Robust American Beauty
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 11:14am

Lee, where are you located? 

One of the things that I think many people  make a mistake on when setting up their booth, is thinking they have to have "everything" they've made on  display.  It  makes the booth looked very cluttered and makes the customer like a kid in the candy store---too many choices and can't make a decision.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 1:55pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I remember them from lonnnng ago when I was selling my photos at shows.

Good reference material!!

You do have to subscribe to get any info but it would really be worth it.

One thing to remember is that most shows book at least a year in advance and some have so many return vendors that it is very hard to find an opening.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 6:23pm

Before subscribing to the magazine, see if it is carried by your public library.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 9:56pm

Steve, I've had some of those days. The shows I have been in seems to have a lower price point. I'm west of Chicago and there are some high end shows around but to get to them is something I don't want to do. I find Bowls don't sell well and have to come down so much before they do sell so I don't turn them anymore. I have not done hollow forms but will this winter. I have items from 300 down to 15. I sell a lot of resin and wood mills. I never sit down but engage people when the stop.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 12:06pm

I only do one show a year now, the Oregon Country Fair, known locally as the Hippy Fair, kind of a hippy renaissance fair. Over the almost 35 years I have done it, it remains the best show I have ever done. Every one that comes to it is on vacation. This is not only the 45,000 that come through the gates, it includes the vendors and the work crews, another 20,000 or so people. The only time people spend as much or more money than they do at Christmas, is when they are on vacation. I have pieces from $5 to $300. Like all shows, you should have a little of every thing because you never know what will sell...

I started there selling custom Hacky Sacks and juggle balls, then got into woodturning. That paid much better...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:39am

I just finished 2 shows the past 2 weekends.   Miniature birdhouses and Christmas tree ornaments paid my booth fees at both shows.  Other items were sporadic.. a  few couple of bowls, an urn, seam rippers, jewelry boxes.  I agree with Robo on the need for a variety of items.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print