Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OneWay live Centre (Read 401 times)

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
OneWay live Centre
Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:29am

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a OneWay live Centre because I really like the idea of being able to turn your own wood nose cones to fit on it. I’ve read that folks screw a blank piece of wood onto the centre then mount it in the head spindle to turn it. What are folks using to lock the centre? It comes with a knockout rod but doesn’t come with any sort of pin to lock the spindle. I suppose I can turn up a short rod to suit, maybe with a larger head and hold it in place with some tape? But I’m wondering what other folks are doing.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: OneWay live Centre
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 11:52am

The nose of the OneWay and many other live centers is threaded 3/4"-10
You can get a tap (I prefer a bottom tap) and thread your own wooden cones or whatever

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 6:27am

Ed: I think that Wil is asking how to "lock" the live center so that when he threads a wood block on to it and mounts it in the headstock, he can turn the wood block round.

Wil: If I'm correct on that, my solution is to put a cotter pin through the hole in the live center. I don't spread the cotter pin. As you guessed, a piece of any kind of tape holds it in place.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 8:33am

Wil Russell wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:29am:
I’ve read that folks screw a blank piece of wood onto the centre then mount it in the head spindle to turn it. What are folks using to lock the centre?

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 6:27am:
Ed: I think that Wil is asking how to "lock" the live center so that when he threads a wood block on to it and mounts it in the headstock, he can turn the wood block round.

While I hate to answer a question with a question,
Why would you buy a device that is designed to rotate and then look for a way to stop it from rotating???
I don't think I've ever considered using my live center as a drive, I don't see the benefit. What are you trying to accomplish by doing this?

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:13am

Ed. I believe the intention is to shape the piece while on the headstock, then use it on the tailstock...ala xxxx "soft touch"

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:46am

I confess I didn't understand, I apologize.
Now that I'm on the same page, most people go about it this way.
Most of the time the cone or desired shape is turned as you would anything else, either using a chuck or faceplate, etc. Then the piece is drilled to the appropriate size for the threads to be tapped. For 3/4-10 threads I believe it's 21/32".

Everyone has their own method of doing things, I'm sure there are others with methods where the live center is used as the drive, maybe they'll explain their process
Turn safely

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 12:17pm

Ed: Since my post got us in this mess, I'll explain my process. I guess that I'm not "most people".    Smiley Smiley

I take the block that will eventually form the soft touch on the end of the live center, drill and tap it, then screw it onto the live center. The live center has a cross drilled hole in it that will accept a pin, nail, cotter pin, whatever so that the live center is no longer "live". I put the now-dead center in my headstock and turn the block to whatever shape I'm after. Then, I knock it out of  the headstock, slip it into the tailstock, remove the pin and I'm in business.

Doing it this way, I know that the soft touch will be perfectly centered on the live center, since it was turned in place.

As you correctly say, though, each to his own.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 5:58pm

You can do it that way but the here's what Oneway says.

Making a Custom Wood Center

To make a custom wood center use
a blank 1½” minimum, 2” maximum
thick.  Drill a blind hole 11/16”
diameter by 7/8” deep.  Insert the
knock out rod through the body and
screw the blank onto the threaded
portion of the center.  Insert a spur
in the ONEWAY Chuck or headstock
to drive your blank and turn to shape
required.

Another method to drive your blank
for turning is to drill a hole and insert
a drive pin in between the jaws of
your ONEWAY Chuck.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
f

The locking hole in the live center is not designed to "drive", it's only function is to hold the inner shaft to facilitate attaching and removing nose cones or points.

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:49pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 12:17pm:
Ed: Since my post got us in this mess, I'll explain my process. I guess that I'm not "most people".    Smiley Smiley

I take the block that will eventually form the soft touch on the end of the live center, drill and tap it, then screw it onto the live center. The live center has a cross drilled hole in it that will accept a pin, nail, cotter pin, whatever so that the live center is no longer "live". I put the now-dead center in my headstock and turn the block to whatever shape I'm after. Then, I knock it out of  the headstock, slip it into the tailstock, remove the pin and I'm in business.

Doing it this way, I know that the soft touch will be perfectly centered on the live center, since it was turned in place.

As you correctly say, though, each to his own.

Thanks Grant, that’s exactly what I had planned. I’ll just find a pin the fits the hole and hold it with tape.

IP Logged

Frank Wilda

Safety always!

HADLEY, Massachusetts, USA
HADLEY
Massachusetts
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 2:15pm

If you're looking to drive a wood blank that's been tapped to 3/4"-10 I would suggest getting one of these from Robust:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This one is a bit more but it's even better to have the bowl drive attachment which can be used on either side of the lathe:

I don't mine a lot but when I need it I'm so glad I have it.

"We find in life exactly what we put into it." -Emerson
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 5:20pm

The shaft IS NOT MEANT TO BE DRIVEN.
I said my piece.

If you are going to do this, I would suggest that you select something to act as a shear pin, possibly an aluminum nail. If you get a catch or something, the pin will shear with no damage to your drive.
If you use something hardened as a lock pin and get a catch, you could cause damage.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print