Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Undercutting the Lip on Bowls... (Read 190 times)

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Undercutting the Lip on Bowls...
Aug 10th, 2018 at 10:18am

Just curious, what is your go to tool for undercutting the lip on your bowls?  thanks all...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Undercutting the Lip on Bowls...
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:22am

Just to be clear, you're talking about the inside, right?
Making a semi-closed form
I use a gouge as much as possible but when the angle becomes too musch for a gouge to access I use a hollowing tool.I use a Sorby HollowMaster. There are a couple of sizes available. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I purchased mine, like the one shown (for the sovereign system) because I don't like the factory handles on any Sorby tools.
I have two sizes of curved (Hollowmaster) and two sizes of straight (Multi tip Hollowing tool) and they all have their place.
The round cutter works well for under cutting the rim but remember to do this before you turn away too much of the wall. This is after all, a scraper and if the walls are too thin, you will get chatter. It's typically best to get the under cut done, meaning there's no coming back to touch it up except for sandpaper, before you reduce wall thickness.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:40am

Thank you for the reply Ed but I'm actually referring to the underside of the outer rim of the bowl...obviously I should have made that more clear.  I've been using my detail spindle gouge and the other thread I responded to earlier today reminded me that I've been meaning to post the question.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:51am

On the outside, I also use a gouge as much as possible.
What type of rim are you talking about? A tight curve or a more sweeping radius?
A photo would help

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

HF 1236 (34706)
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:18pm

Like Ed, I use a bowl gouge until a scraper or hollower is needed for radiused undercut, inside or outside.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 3:38pm

Hmmm, do you mean the concave type lip on the outside as part of an ogee curve? For any concave surface, like the transition on the inside of the bowl from the wall to the bottom, I use a BOB (bottom of bowl) tool, generally a 60 to 70 degree bevel with at least half of the bevel ground off. This allows you to rub the bevel gently through the whole curve. A dropped handle high angle shear cut can do the job as well.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:06pm

Are you talking about the bottom edge of a simple band at the top of the outside of the bowl?  Or perhaps the top of the rim flares out almost horizontal?  A picture would help.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 10:29am

Sorry it took so long to make and post a photo...though not a great picture I believe it gets the idea across.  THANKS...

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:34am

John, that is the concave curve I was asking about. So, a high angle shear scrape can clean that up, or a BOB tool. I do find that easier than cutting from both sides like you would for a cove on a spindle. I use scrapers for my shear scraping (video up in that section here), but a swept back gouge would do the same thing...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm

I would use a bowl gouge, not a complex cut.
I would most likely use my U fluted gouge (lees pointy and aggressive) but probably more wing than anything. Always cutting downhill ( from the foot to the rim) once the curve is established, then clean or square off the rim.
JMO

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print