Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bowl shape BI (Read 745 times)

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Bowl shape BI
Aug 29th, 2018 at 7:57am

This is the first bowl shape BI that I have ever  tried. In fact I can count on one hand how many bowls I have made in the last ten years, needless to say I was a bit rusty. To make things worse, I misjudged the size and found when I went to turn it over to work the bottom it didn’t fit into the one and only jig I had(a oneway chuck with jaws that screwed onto it). Total scramble to make something to hold it so I could finish the darn thing. Since I enjoyed making this one and fully plan on making more I have set aside time to make a longworth chuck asap.

Couple of thing I encountered  and need to work on next time. Every time you take something off and put it back on the lathe it changes things, sometimes slight sometimes a lot. I use a high speed drill to make the vertical burn marks that is attached to a jig. I used an extension that attached to the jig to get the  inside  of the bowl. After the shape of the bowl and the beads on the inside put in I used the jig to burn the vertical marks. I had to run the marks from the inside to at least 1 inch of the outside so I could flip the bowl and not have to worry about the rubber stops holding the bowl, getting in the way. I had to make beads on the outside also, at least the parts that would get in the way of the rubber stops. I found that when I did flip the bowl over it became very difficult to make the lines match up to complete the vertical marks thru the rest of the outside. The second problem I had in getting things lined up - I had applied the beads thru an inch or so of the outside before I turned the bowl over. Then when I flipped it over to do the bottom, the last beads I had applied and the new beads I was trying to apply would not line up right. To simplify the explanation, I had a very difficult time getting the inside to match the outside. I fact it doesn’t, although I’m probably the only person that will notice this it still bugs me.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Bowl shape BI
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 1:13pm

You did very well for a first.  I am in the process of finishing my first one.  It is not nearly as complex as yours.  How big is yours?   Take some time and watch the you tube videos by Harvey Meyer and Doug Schneiter.  They should help you a lot.

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 11:18am

Another beautiful piece Ben. Well don as always! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:31am

Thanks Al and Ron.

I meant to show all three pics but messed up so here they are. It's made out of oak and is 10 inches wide.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

The Villages, Florida, USA
The Villages
Florida
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V, now with Stainless Ways
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 9:59am

What type (Brand) of coloring pens did you use?  Did you apply a finish over the bowl after it was colored?

Thanks! 

PS - Terrific looking bowl!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Marc Walker
WR Noob

chandler, Arizona, USA
chandler
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 3:02pm

Very nice work. I bet you had to do the coloring in several sessions.  I start seeing double after doing the coloring for awhile.

IP Logged

Ben Goeller

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 7:06am

Tom Coghill wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 9:59am:
What type (Brand) of coloring pens did you use?  Did you apply a finish over the bowl after it was colored?

Tom, I use acrylic paint. I found the limited colors provided with markers didn't work for the rainforest type BI's  I like doing, got used to the wide range of colors, now I use paint on every BI. Yes I put on a simi-gloss finish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print