WR Rocks!

san diego, California, USA
san diego
California
USA

Nova
turning plywood
Sep 9th, 2018 at 5:26pm

I have a bunch of cut offs from cabinets. Which is cabinet grade plywood. This is not  Just crummy CDX or even BCX.
Has the laminated or glued layers. Looks like it could be very interesting. Anything can be turned, just  some things  work better than others!!!! Interested in thoughts?

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: turning plywood
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 6:49pm

North American cabinet grade plywood may use poplar for the internal plies, which turns fairly well.  But this plywood can have voids in the internal plies, which would show some tearout.  I've turned this plywood sometimes for jigs and such, the edge was somewhat rough but succumbed to sanding starting at maybe 100 or 120.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 6:51pm

I have turned a bunch of these. Mostly miniature birdhouses. Also martini glasses and brandy snifters, mini of course. The blanks are 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 X 3 and many different colors. I do not know the species of wood but these blanks turn and sand like butter.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:03am

Different plywoods, OSB beam pieces, and other particle board type things can be glued up and turned with some very  interesting patterns, especially when turning end grain. Only down side is the glue is harder than the woods. I turned a 3 by 11 inch OSB (oriented strand board) and I had to sharpen my Big Ugly tool 3 times to turn out the inside. Lots of voids, but it did look petty neat. Too coarse on the inside though for a salad bowl. Cabinet grade plywood like Baltic Birch or Apple Ply are usually solid with no voids.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:52am

I’ve turned a couple of Baltic Birch ply pieces, it can be quite abrasive so I roughed out with Carbide tools and then made finishing cuts with sharp HSS tools. The stuff I tried was supposed to have no voids but it had one or two anyway so be prepared with some wood dust and superglue just in case.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print