Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First ever wood lathe - Cummins (?) face plate (Read 610 times)

Michael Lester
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

First ever wood lathe - Cummins (?) face plate
Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:54am

I recently acquired a Cummins lathe - very inexpensive and it came with a starter set of tools. Have never touched a wood lathe before. The Owners Manual indicates the use of a faceplate to hold stock. The lathe I acquired did not have one and the previous owner tells me he never had it. I've tried to find anything about the 'Cummins' company for parts with no luck. I do note that the lathe itself looks very much like many inexpensive lathes out there selling under different brand names. Is there another source for a faceplate for this type lathe? Used would be great, but new if necessary. Thanks for any help you can give...Michael

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: First ever wood lathe - Cummins (?) face plate
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:40am

You need to find out the spindle size, perhaps from a lathe manual.  Knowing that you should be able to find a face plate that will fit.  Lots of vendors make face plates in different sizes.  I have never heard of a Cummins lathe before.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Based on what i saw doing a google search, keep the tools and throw the lathe in the dumpster. Shocked Grin

But the manual you have should also have the specs on it giving you the spindle size.

You might end up having to buy an adapter to fit a more standard thread on a face plate or chuck.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:42pm

After you find the spindle size you will likely find out if it is a common size.  If it is a real odd size you may find getting faceplates, drive centers, chucks, live centers, etc very difficult. If that is the case you may as well do what Ralph says.  Why spend a lot of $ on things that will not fit a better lathe in the future if/when you decide you like woodturning.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:47pm

People new to lathes can benefit tremendously from a local woodturning group.  Lots of people at various experience levels, eager to assist a new turner.  Some if not most groups offer classes and mentoring, and you may find one or more members willing to visit you and your lathe.

Some first questions regarding your lathe are (as already mentioned) the size and thread count on the spindle, whether the headstock and tailstock accept morse tapers and if so what size, and what speeds does the lathe offer.  If these terms are all sound foreign, even more reason to get together with a local turning group.

IP Logged

Glenn Matthies

WR Rocks!

Lockport, NY, New York, USA
Lockport, NY
New York
USA

Jet 1642 EVS 2 hp
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 11:46pm

Cummins did a traveling truckload tool sale some time ago.  It was like Harbor Freight only mobile.  Their lathe was likely a very low end one similar to the Harbor Freights for the time period.  Cummins Tools apparently had to change their name in 2010 due to legal action involving Cummins Deisel.

As others have said, find the diameter and tpi of the spindle and purchase a face plate for that size.

IP Logged

Michael Lester
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 9:09pm

I've learned that the spindle size for this lathe is M18 2.5. Google and Ebay search didn't produce a face plate with these specs. I can find tons of these lathes on-line 'branded' by various companies - but no source for parts.

Any help for a parts source would be appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 7:57am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Couldn’t find any faceplates but Nova has the m18 2.5 inserts for their chucks so may be a place to start.

IP Logged

Chris Brock

WR Rocks!

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Phoenix
Arizona
USA

NOVA DVR
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 8:24am

You could always get some M18 nuts (which seem to be reasonably priced) and make your own faceplates.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 8:53am

The lathe should have a model number on it somewhere, I would start there.
A photo with a forensic gauge (ruler) would be helpful in determining what size the spindle ( diameter & thread count) and/or morse taper are.
Here is a link that may help you determine what spindle/thread size you have.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Michael Lester
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 10:52am

...wow! Great information. I like the 'make your own faceplate' idea. Fastenal sells nuts that match the thread on this spindle.

Thanks everyone.

Michael

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 2:03pm

I like better using a chuck with the proper insert, the chuck's jaws and wood screw.  No balancing needed.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:08pm

I remember seeing lathes at a Cummins sale---they would hit the VFW here occasionally.  As I remember the slowest speed isn't very slow, so be very careful about trying to turn any piece that isn't well balanced.  Plus you may have to take thin cuts as the motor may stall.

Didn't know that about the name change.--thought the quality caught up with'em.

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print