DeRidder, Louisiana, USA
DeRidder
Louisiana
USA

HF cheapie
NOVA 1624II
ambrosia beetle damage
Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:18pm

Don't know if this is the right forum or not.

I have quite a few red bay and sassafras trees that are dead or dying from ambrosia beetles. Has anybody else had a problem from these beetles. Tried to figure how to send a picture of a tree with the sawdust tubes sticking out, but couldn't. I guess I'll have plenty of turning wood. How well does sassafras turn? I rough turned a couple of pieces of red bay and had trouble with some of the bark coming off.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: ambrosia beetle damage
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:56am

Bark is only firmly attached to green wood cut during the growing season, perhaps March through September or maybe October.  Often I have seen standing dead trees with parts or all of the bark missing.

Sassafras turns very easily, as it is on the soft side.  Fills the area with that wonderful smell, but the scent lasts only a short time.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:11am

Please contact your state forest conservation agency to learn how to avoid spreading this laurel wilt disease, and share the information with turning groups in your area.

IP Logged

merle ward
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

DeRidder, Louisiana, USA
DeRidder
Louisiana
USA

HF cheapie
NOVA 1624II
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:36pm

Don,

I went to the LSU Ag Center with a sample and a picture and he identified what it is. He contacted the La Forest Service and they sent a man out and he took some pictures and verified that it is Ambrosia Beetle damage. That is the last I heard about it. Don't know what else to do. There are no turning groups in this area that I know of.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:02am

It is a great example for others that you notified the state.  So many trees are being lost due to indifferent or careless transport of diseased (walnut canker) or insect-infested (Asian longhorn beetle, emerald ash borer) wood.  From just a few minutes searching on the Internet yesterday I saw the beetle/fungus in your area apparently is a significant potential threat to avocado crops in Florida (your Woodturners Resource profile did not indicate where you lived).

The web site for the American Association of Woodturners (woodturner.org) shows two affiliated turning groups in Louisiana, don't know if either is near you.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:43am

Don Stephan wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:02am:
It is a great example for others that you notified the state.  So many trees are being lost due to indifferent or careless transport of diseased (walnut canker) or insect-infested (Asian longhorn beetle, emerald ash borer) wood.

I second that statement.
Out here we have  approximately (at last count) 129 million dead trees due to a combination of poor forest maintenance, drought, insects and wildfires. Each one of these items compounds the others, so it's an uphill battle.
IMO it's important to know about the wood you're using.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 7:04am

Don Stephan wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:56am:
Bark is only firmly attached to green wood cut during the growing season, perhaps March through September or maybe October. Often I have seen standing dead trees with parts or all of the bark missing.

Don, I believe the reverse is true.  Bark is more adherent when the tree is cut during the winter when it is dormant, and the sap is not running.    See for example:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 8:15am

Actually, I think you are correct and I stand corrected.  Tender new wood under the bark is loosely attached to the sapwood during the growing season.  Glad you caught this and made the correction.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print