WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Piercing
Sep 24th, 2018 at 7:13pm

How fast (rpm) does a tool have to be to do piercing.  I came across an air driven miniature grinding tool that I think might work but I know very little about this type of embellishment.  What kind of 'bits'?

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Lindow -White Rose Engine
Re: Piercing
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 8:35am

Jenny,

Not an easy answer without a few facts:

Simply put, the faster the better, I use an NSK, 300,000 RPM. I tried piercing with a Foredom +- 15,000 RPM but was not satisfied with the results.

On the NSK, I use the 699L bits.

If you know who the manufacturer of the tool is, you can check out the specs as far as RPM & bit size.

Treeline USA is a good source for bits etc. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I'm sure others will be chiming in as well.

Good luck, piercing is a fun way to enhance your projects.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2018 at 8:36am by Ron Carrabotta »  

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

Simon Barnard
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Nailsworth, Gloucestershire
United Kingdom

Vicmarc 300
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 5:33am

Also good to know what you want to pierce and the wall thickness.

I have both the NSK and a micromotor tool. The NSK excels when the wall thickness is 1 to 2 mm but needs several passes when you get to >3mm. The micro motors carving tools are great and go to approx 45,000rpm so 3x dremel etc that really makes a difference.

Like Ron I tried with dremel type speeds but like trying to rough a square spindle blank with lathe at 100rpm by comparison.
Simon

IP Logged

Breck Whitworth
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
Gulfport
Mississippi
USA

PM 3520-B
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:41pm

Since I have been piercing for years I'll throw my two cents in here also but like others have said there are many factors that apply here. The number one thing to consider is how thin can you turn. If you can seriously turn 1/16 to 3/32 consistently then the best on the market is the NSK a 400,000 rpm air drill with a wonderfully easy to use hand piece, there are dental handpieces that run on air that will do the same thing the NSK does yet they are cheaper. Like Ron said treelineusa.com  is a great place to buy the tiny bits like Bhin Pho used. If you can only turn wall thickness to 1/8" + maybe another 1/16 then the micro-motor tools and there are quite a few of them out there, any will work, they run at 45,000 RPMs and the only place I found bits that will pierce this thick are from Packard wood works they are called (2 Piece Mini Saw/Drill Set) these will work in micro motor tools and even a dremel  they are made to drill then cut sideways. I hope this helps some
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:45pm by Breck Whitworth »  

May the Lord Bless the work of our hands! And Necessity is the mother of invention:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print